What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

29 December 2008

When in doubt, blame Congress.

Not bad for a mantra, eh? You don't have to limit your blaming to Congress, of course; feel free to spread it around to any government official you like.

Why is Congress the current subject of my scorn? First of all, I was already aggravated with them for that little dance with time that they lead us all in twice a year. And now they are messing with my televison.

"Oh, but you can get a converter!" "Order your coupon off the internet!" "Surely you are willing to pay a little to get a better quality TV?" These are the fun little statements that I have been running across on the internet. Obviously, a lot of people are in the tank for the digital conversion.

I'm not, although I admit that the transition offers me some hope. At the beginning of the current TV season, I was all filled with angst at the prospect of giving more of my life to the TV. Now, the government has answered the problem for me: on February 17th, TV watching will no longer be an option.

I have, however, ordered our coupons from the nice people over at dtv2009.gov (after all, I only have until Wednesday to do so!). Once they are mailed, we'll have three months to decide whether we want to watch TV or not. I certainly intend to at least try a TV-free life for a week or two, just to see what it is like.

So in this case I say, Thank you, Congress! You have made it easier for me to not be like everyone else. Well done.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Go for the TV-free life! I haven't had channels on my TV for years... 6 or so.

We still watch DVDs on it and play a video game here and there (just got DDR, I'm so psyched!).

We do watch Heroes and The Office on NBC.com. It comes on 1 day late, normally.

Beth said...

We don't have a TV and haven't watched it regularly for a little over 4 years (since we moved away from our apartment that provided free cable). I don't even have a clue what shows are on anymore. I wish you could buy cable by the channel so we could get the Food Network and the Discovery channel.

We watch a lot of DVDs, read news on the internet, etc. I really don't feel like I'm missing anything, but I have had a while to get used to it.