What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

26 August 2010

A year ago today...

I was on the University of Texas website, looking at the academic calendar.

You see, this day last year was the first day of classes. And I was wishing that I was in Austin, starting my fall semester. I wished that I had been able to tell the future, six months before a year ago today, to know just how much I would want to be out of Lubbock. I was wishing that I had foreseen the frustration and anger at my job and the universe in general.

Instead, I was sitting in my living room, looking at the UT website, and promising myself, "Next year, that will be me."

You see, I had my essays written. I had my personal data assembled. I was 100% ready to apply to UT for Summer 2010, and my only regret was that we were locked into a lease (and Chad had a school-year job) that would make a January admission impossible. All I needed was for September 1st to arrive, so I could fill in my application and send it.

One year later: I finished Summer 2010 with great joy and reasonable success. It's day 2 of Fall 2010. And my life is good... and seems much brighter than it did one year ago today.

No comments: