What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

23 September 2010

Happy Anniversary!

At my brother's wedding.
With this post, I've equalled my total number of posts for the past two years running. I guess I can take the rest of the year off. See you in January.


Today is my parents' 33rd anniversary. I'm fairly certain they will not be celebrating by reading my blog, so I can pretty much say whatever I want. Heh heh heh.

Because my parents wanted a big family, they did not wait long to have children. And so I can remember most of their anniversaries. A few years ago (when I was still an aim assistant), I happened to be in the aim office addressing their anniversary card when the very sweet aim secretary asked me if I usually get my parents a gift for their anniversary. No, I told her; just a card. She asked because her equally sweet daughter had told her that she wanted to buy a gift for their anniversary (my goodness, this is quite an assortment of pronouns; I should just make up a nickname for everyone I know), and Mrs. Secretary had politely declined, telling the young Miss Secretary that anniversaries are for couples to give gifts to each other. So, I'm glad I could help out with that.

My parents on the moving sidewalk at the Indianapolis airport. They had never been on one before. Seriously.

When it comes to my family and marriage, we do have a strong tendency toward holidays. Is everyone like that? I don't know. It's my mother's side of the family that we get this from: My grandparents were married Labor Day weekend. Mum's older brother was married Memorial Day weekend. My parents were married on/near the first day of autumn (you know how it moves around; okay, it's not exactly a holiday, but you get what I'm saying). Mum's younger brother got married near Easter; I never can remember the exact day, but I do know that I wore my Easter dress to the wedding. And after my uncle passed away, my aunt remarried on Labor Day weekend. My cousin married on the weekend of the Brickyard 400 (again, not a holiday, but I am from Indiana, after all), I got married on New Year's Day, and my brother got married Memorial Day weekend.

So you could say we have a thing for those days on the calendar that have the differently-coloured numbers from all the "normal" days. Whether the rest of single ladies in the family follow suit remains to be seen (the only single men in the family are not likely to be proposing any time soon).

My father only gets this dressed up when someone is getting married or buried. Much to my mother's chagrin, he passed this trait on to his children.


Happy anniversary, Mum and Dad, and many more to you.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to get married on the 4th of July but not because of the holiday but because of the fireworks! (NeeSee)

Su said...

NeeSee! You commented! I definitely think you should get married the 4th of July. Just think-- instead of birdseed/bubbles/whatever, you can have people light sparklers as you leave! :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I figured it out...(NeeSee)