I've managed to pick up a couple of awards, and in the process I realised I hadn't updated my Trophy Case since the last time I got awards. Sheesh... I tidy up my blog almost as well as I tidy up my house.
From the wonderful Jenny at The Modest Peacock, I received:
Thanks, Jenny! The usual course of action is to share 7 random facts about myself and then pass it on. More on that anon.
And from the ridiculously cute Nutschell at The Writing Nut, we have:
What's not to love about that? Thanks, Nutschell! The rule for this one is to list 5 books/films/TV programmes I've experienced in the last 12 months. So just for fun, I'll combine these 5 and the above 7 things and see what comes out. And I'm totally ignoring that "last 12 months" bit, because you all know what I'm like with rules.
1. I can't remember the last time I was in a movie theatre. It might have been the third Pirates of the Caribbean; it might have been The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe; it might have been Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Whichever of those is the most recent.
2. I held out on cloth hankies instead of tissues for years, even though my husband tried to get me to switch. I finally gave in after reading No Impact Man. And now that I use and love hankies, I have no idea why I was so opposed to them in the first place.
3. We don't actually own a DVD player any longer, but that's okay, because we also don't have the money to rent DVDs. Good thing we have cable TV, eh? (It comes with the apartment; I clarify this because I realise it's generally insane to have cable TV but no spare cash for Netflix.)
4. Dharma & Greg started playing from the beginning a few weeks ago on one of our cable channels. I've been watching, laughing, and remembering why I loved the show in the first place.
5. I find there is no circumstance in my life that cannot be explained by an episode of Friends, The West Wing, or The Waltons. If I ever meet anything outside the purview of those three shows, I will assume that I have finally met alien life.
6. Speaking of alien life, the book Contact? Much better than the movie. Much, much better.
7. Tom Hanks and Julia Roberts are in a movie together this summer? Wait, Julia Roberts was in Eat Pray Love? This is what happens when you don't watch TV (much) or go to the movies. You miss things.
8. I read Dash & Lily's Book of Dares last week. It's a Christmas book, but being slightly out-of-season has never bothered me (I listen to Trans-Siberian Orchestra's Christmas stuff year-round, after all). After reading, I raced to the internet to find out if Collation is a real film and was sad to find out that it is not (although seriously, Pixar, it's a great idea), but was delighted to confirm that The Strand is a real bookstore.
9. So now I want to plan a book-finding vacation in New York. Or perhaps just go to grad school there.
10. And now that I'm thinking about it, I want to write my memoir in a hurry so Julia Roberts can play me. She's 11 years my senior, but has less grey hair, so I think it can all work out. Now I just need to do something interesting. Or perhaps I can wait and write my memoir when I'm 65, so that a 76-year-old Julia Roberts can play me. That gives me a few years to do something worth writing about. Okay, it's a plan.
11. I think I'll call it The Wheels on the Bus and it'll be me sitting on the bus through various stages of my life. A not-yet-born actress will have to play the young me, Debby Ryan will be the perfect age to be the middle-aged me, and Julia Roberts can play the senior citizen me. And Tom Hanks can play Chad.
12. And now for something completely different... I wish David Letterman, Craig Ferguson and Conan O'Brien could have their late-night-ness a bit earlier in the day. I turn into a pumpkin at 10 PM so I can't stay up to enjoy the hilarity, which is a real bummer. Although now that I've hunted up those links, I magically remembered that I live in the internet age and can watch these very funny gentlemen any time I want. Well, that's one problem solved.
There you have it! And now, to hand them round and share the joy. I'm choosing recent commenters this time, and I feel like there's someone who said they don't care for blog awards... but I can't remember who it was. So, go see these bloggers and spread some love!
Delores at The Feathered Nest
JEFritz at Still Writing...
The Golden Eagle at The Eagle's Aerial Perspective
Mary at Giggles and Guns
mshatch at Mainewords
Jenny at The Modest Peacock
erica and christy at erica and christy
the Runner at Running Candid
Kerri at Earth's Crammed with Heaven
Deniz Bevin at The Girdle of Melian
Help! What is going on here?
I don't know what's going on, either. But as soon as I either develop some time management skills or finish my semester, the cheek will return.