What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

13 July 2012

The Iron is Hot

In Sleeping Naked is Green, Vanessa Farquharson writes about her year of making one green change every day, for a grand total of 366 changes, because she inadvertently chose a leap year.

If I had one of these, I wouldn't
worry about using electricity--
but I would worry about dropping
it on my foot. Source.
One of her earlier changes was giving up ironing. I'm guessing this was more of a sacrifice because she is Canadian, where people expect to see wrinkle-free clothes in public, whereas I'm a rumpled American surrounded by other rumpled Americans who don't care what my t-shirt looks like.

Also, I've pondered the merits of giving up ironing. Do irons use that much electricity to merit putting them on the shelf in the name of protecting the earth? I'm thinking that keeping the bathroom light on while I'm showering uses more watts. On the other hand, I don't iron every day.

So, does this count as a green living tip? Not exactly. I iron my hankies because it increases the available surface area, and I have a couple of other things that usually need ironing. But I've found that hanging them out to dry (surprise!) fixes that, which is totally crazy. So, no iron needed at all during the summer, and when it's not 3 million degrees outside, I save them all up to iron at once.

Do you iron? Do you feel like you're using a lot of electricity to de-wrinkle your clothes?

4 comments:

mshatch said...

I seldom iron because like you, I'm a rumpled american :)

I like that idea tho, making a small change once a day, and if you're really scared of change, you could make one a week - that's still 52 changes that can make a difference.

Su said...

I agree! And I really love people who've made a journey of change (any change, not just environmental) and recorded it for the rest of us. It's nice to have a bit of a guide for things that worked for others & things that didn't go so well. Yay for blogging! :)

Anonymous said...

The only thing I iron is the occasional tablecloth (like maybe once a year). The hubs, on the other hand, is an ironing freak.

Su said...

LOL! Chad freaked out the first time I ironed one of his shirts after we got married. No chance of him becoming the ironer in the family!