What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

24 May 2013

The Garden

I planted my container garden at the beginning of spring break, then promptly forgot to water more than a couple of times during March and April, so that my poor lettuce started looking like this:

Sorry, lettuce.
I've started watering it again, and everything is moving along just fine. The carrots are growing, the lettuce is still alive, herbs are all doing well, and the tomatoes are flourishing everywhere I planted them, and a few places I didn't.

Okay, everything isn't exactly fine.

I have tomatoes everywhere. I have tomatoes in pots where no tomatoes were planted, and in pots where they couldn't possibly have cross-pollinated. I don't know how this happened, but the result is: I am up to my eyes in tomato plants. (See that shiny thing in the upper left-hand corner of the dead lettuce picture? Tomato.)

I've pinched them off in pots where other things are growing and left them alone in pots where I only discovered them after they'd choked out the previous tenants. So if these things all produce tomatoes, I see a lot of salsa in my future. If not-- well, I guess I'll feel pretty dumb.

Do you garden? How is it going? Do you need some tomatoes?

5 comments:

orneryswife said...

I would LOVE some tomatoes! We have been working so hard on our rental property all spring I only got some onion sets planted. We have had so much rain that watering has not been a problem, and everything that wintered over (asparagus, strawberries and some flowers) has gone crazy. I still want to plant a tomato or two, but it may be too late. Hopefully work at 507 will finish up this weekend and I can get back at it around here.

I also container garden--so much easier!
tm

Crystal Collier said...

I was reading an article just this morning about a neglected tomato plant that had the potential to grow MILLIONS of tomatoes. =)

I don't garden. Not that I wouldn't like to, but apparently I'm quite allergic to trees, grass, weeds and anything else that's green. How sad is that?

Here's hoping your lettuce survives!

J E Fritz said...

Make sure they're actually tomatoes and not creatures from outer space. But other than that, I wish I could have some of them. Fresh vegetables sounds great.

Kern Windwraith said...

Tomatoes are crazy things, I've found. One year they'll be stunted, sad little excuses for plants and the next year they're taking over the planet and your friends start hiding when they see you approaching with bulging sacks of produce hanging from your arms. :)

Visiting via the Blogging from A to Z Road Show.

Su said...

Two of the plants are growing a reasonable amount of tomatoes. Two of them keep starting tomatoes and then the small fruits fall off. :( Not sure what to do about that.