What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

15 October 2015

The Five Food Groups in Su-Land

1. Hummus.
2. Vegetables to hold the hummus.
3. Crackers to hold the hummus.
4. Chocolate (not for use with hummus).
5. Tea.

One of these lasts me
two days. Makes a
great lunch.
Yeah, I've been eating a bit of hummus lately. So much so that I decided I'd better make my own, in the hopes that it's marginally cheaper than buying a new tub every two days. And possibly healthier, or at least less processed. 

I'm using this recipe, but I cooked up some dried chickpeas instead of using canned, because that's what I do. The initial result works with corn chips, so the next step is to have it for lunch with a few vegetables under it like I've been doing lately.

Price: So, this isn't much cheaper. I'm not really sure how much I made, truth be told, so I can't be exact. We'll go for inexact.

Ingredients (with the approximate price of what I used on this batch):
Dried chickpeas, $.54
Pinto bean seasoning (for cooking the chickpeas), $.37
Tahini, $2.39
Lemon juice, $.52
Garlic, $.20

Total: $4.02

The hummus I've been buying is $2.98 for 10 ounces, so this batch cost a little more than that, but it definitely made more than 10 ounces. If it lasts me three days instead of two, it's already cheaper. If it only lasts two days, I may have to rethink this plan.

Next up, should I make more hummus before rethinking: this recipe for spinach, artichoke, & red pepper hummus. I'm definitely getting my nine a day lately.

What's something new you've tried lately? Or something old that you keep doing because it works well?

6 comments:

Michael E said...

Our latest new attempt was sweet potato black bean burgers.

I think we need to work on texture a little bit, but the result was very tasty.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

I've bought hummus a couple of times, but I just can't bring myself to actually put it in my mouth.

Laura K said...

I made turkey meatballs with falafel mix instead of breadcrumbs. Really good.
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2012/02/recipe-for-moroccan-turkey-meatballs.html
Have you tried hummus with pesto yet? It is my current favorite. Just float some pesto on top. Very nice.

Laura K said...

I made turkey meatballs with falafel mix instead of breadcrumbs. Really good.
http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2012/02/recipe-for-moroccan-turkey-meatballs.html
Have you tried hummus with pesto yet? It is my current favorite. Just float some pesto on top. Very nice.

J E Oneil said...

That sounds pretty good to me. How does it taste? And you'll have to share how long it lasts.

Su said...

So, apparently hummus is what y'all want me to blog about. Noted.

@Michael: Dang. I'm going to try that.

@Jenni: This is probably the fourth or fifth season in my life that I've decided to give hummus a chance. First time I got addicted. Stick it on a vegetable you already like--that helps.

@Laura: The meatballs sound great, but I'm less a fan of pesto.

@JE: It tastes like plain hummus so far. Fingers crossed that it lasts more than two days!