What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

26 August 2016

Travelling While Green

No, not *that* kind of travelling while green. Source.
I've done way more travelling in the last few weeks that I've done in years, and you'd think someone as dedicated to reducing and reusing as me would have great tips for travelling earth-friendly, yes?

Erm, no.

I got nothing. Well, not quite. I have lots of horror for how much trash I produced just from eating on the go in the last month. In New York there are at least recycle bins at regular intervals along the street, so it's not quite as bad as it could have been, but it's still bad. Between fast food and grab-and-go sandwiches, I feel like I've turned into a trash comet lately.

In hindsight, I'm not even sure what I would do differently. Perhaps some research to find compostable grab-and-go containers with bins on site (as they do at Whole Foods) ahead of time. Less fast food and more dine-in options, perhaps. At least this weekend in Cincinnati I took advantage of the nearby Kroger and the kitchen in my hotel room, which I haven't done anywhere else. Or maybe, the best thing I could have done was try a bit harder to find recycling bins instead of just chucking everything.

Then there's that minor detail that getting on an airplane is about the least earth-friendly thing I've done in recent weeks.

Why bother thinking through this? Because nobody is perfect. Because maybe this is an opportunity. Maybe travelling is a time to remember why I do this all the rest of the time--because that is a lot of rubbish for one person to produce in a short space of time. And maybe reflecting on a recent trip will generate ideas for next time.

What I won't do is throw up my hands and say, "Who cares, it's a vacation!" That probably works for some folks, but it's not an approach for me. What works for me is to open my eyes a bit wider and see what other options are out there.

Because I have been changed for good.

No comments: