What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

04 April 2017

C is for Cincinnatus #AtoZChallenge

Join me on the A to Z Challenge: I'll share a different thing from my new home, Cincinnati, every day for 26 days in April.

This is the guy Cincinnati is named after:

Because of course there's a statue.
This photo is from last summer. Green leaves
are popping out, but we don't have that many yet.
Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus was (according to my swift research on Wikipedia) a farmer who led the Romans in war and then gave up power and headed home, possibly after singing "One Last Time" (in Latin, natch). The historical record is a bit muddled about that last bit.

During my young life in the Midwest, it wasn't hard to figure out that most place names in this part of the country are either Native American or German words, so I spent most of my life thinking "Cincinnati" was one of the former. Clearly, I should have done a bit more reading about that. Late to the party is better than never coming at all, yeah?

No comments: