What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

10 April 2017

H is for Hamilton #AtoZChallenge

Join me on the A to Z Challenge: I'll share a different thing from my new home, Cincinnati, every day for 26 days in April.

Hey, look! I managed to use Hamilton two A to Z Challenges in a row! Come back in 2018 and we'll see if we can make it a three-peat.

This time around, though, I mean this:

which is the county I live in, not this:

which is a musical I'm pretty sure I'm going to be the last of my friends to see.

So my thing has been for a while that I only moved to Hamilton County because Ohio doesn't have a Valjean County. Indeed, there does not seem to be a Valjean County in the entire country, although there are the Valjean Hills in California and postal code 24601 in Virginia. Hamilton it is, then.

For a government building, the county courthouse isn't terribly ugly:

I was hoping one of the quotes on the façade would be a
quote from Alexander Hamilton, but alas, it was not to be.
(Why not, I don't know, because he wrote quite a lot of stuff down.
The building could be covered in his quotes and there would still
be some left over for a book in the main lobby.)
We do get Micah 6:8, though, at least the bits of about doing
justice and loving mercy.

Also at the courthouse. I kind of want to meet the
unheard-of birds, but there didn't seem to be any around
yesterday morning. Which is, obviously, a real bummer.


I always stop to read historical markers, except the ones on 60-mph roads.
Those I tend to pass by. This marker is relatively new, even though the
events described happened in 1884.
Read about Sherrif Hawkins in a more reasonable print size here.

No comments: