What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

18 April 2017

O is for Owl #AtoZChallenge

Join me on the A to Z Challenge: I'll share a different thing from my new home, Cincinnati, every day for 26 days in April.

Today's location is less "I go here often" and more "I run past here at least once a week." But places on my running route totally count as discovery, especially given how terrified I was of getting lost the first time I went that way.


Owl's Nest Park is near O'Bryonville, and I'm not clear if that's a real neighborhood name or just what we call the short row of shops up the road. I tried Googling to find out what neighborhood the park is in, only to discover that the internet is every bit as confused about Cincinnati neighborhoods as I am. (For example: I've heard at least three different takes from the locals on what neighborhood I live in. I have given up on knowing that.)

One of the two columns that
used to hold the gate. This was
the best angle I could get
without standing in the street.
Here's what I do know: Owl's Nest was the name of the estate that used to sit on the site; the original land was donated to the city in 1905. A whole bunch of brick columns, including the two remaining ones at the front, once supported a wrought-iron gate and fence (the rest of the columns are elsewhere in the city now). It's all very Downton Abbey without (presumably) the Spanish flu and messy entail. The gate and fence were removed as part of metal drives during WWII.

On Saturday, there were bunches of families out enjoying the nice weather and hunting (term used loosely) for Easter eggs in the park, so I did my best to avoid taking pics of the kids, because people tend to freak out a bit about that. Plus I was midrun and already exhausted with about four miles still to go, so I didn't walk around a lot. As a result, I missed out on the hiking trail (seriously, I don't know where it's hiding--I could see most of the park, I thought, from where I was standing) and didn't get a close look at the pavillion, which was built by CCC. Y'all, Cincinnati has so much cool stuff. And I've barely seen any of it. Sharlie and I will have to take advantage of the upcoming long summer evenings to go do a lot more exploring.

I think that may be the CCC-built pavillion way in the background?
But that sign is pretty great all by itself.

No comments: