What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

27 April 2017

W is for Woodward #AtoZChallenge

Join me on the A to Z Challenge: I'll share a different thing from my new home, Cincinnati, every day for 26 days in April.

Mr. Woodward was half the architectural team of Garber & Woodward that designed a whole bunch of stuff around Cincinnati, including many other things that begin with W.

Like this:
This is a high school. (Walnut Hills)
And this:
Also a high school. Not the Von Trapp's estate,
but I see where you might make that mistake. (Withrow)
Same high school (!!!), from slightly
farther away.
And this:
This is a PRIMARY school. Holy smokes. (Rothenberg)
So clearly, when I need a setting for any future school stories I need look no further than a Garber & Woodward building.

A few more (not nearly all) of their buildings around town:
Every single one of these buildings is on, or within sight of, Fourth Street.
Clearly, our friends G & W had a good thing going downtown.
Clockwise from top left: Taft Museum (they handled the remodel);
Christ Church Cathedral; Anna Louise Inn; Guilford Building
(also a former school, and it stands on the site of Fort Washington);
Dixie Terminal; The Phelps (these days it's a Marriott);
Cincinnati Gas and Electric Building.
So by my count, for our Day of W we have Woodward, Walnut, Withrow, Washington, and Wow! (That last one is just what I said when I saw those high schools. How could your university possibly compare if that's the high school you went to?) Not bad.

No comments: