What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

21 August 2017

Conscious Choices

I took my own words to heart last week and decided that if I'm going to call it quits with running, that it has to be a conscious decision. Otherwise, I have to make the decision to lace up and head out every day. But either way, I wasn't going to let inertia decide for me.

Surprise, surprise-- I love running and am not ready to put it behind me yet. I signed up for the local Turkey Trot and renewed my subscription to Runner's World all in the same day.

That was the easy part. The hard part is still suiting up, stepping out my door, and putting in the miles, which I haven't completely forgotten how to do. Fortunately, not a lot of miles are required to train for a 10K. It's not like I signed up for a marathon and therefore signed hours of my week away for the next four months. But I've survived worse things than having to get up the first time my alarm goes off. I can do this.

We only get so many of these, after
all. Source: Benjamin Earwicker
on freeimages.com.
One of the benefits of running is that its lessons spill over into other areas of life. The realization that I was once again slipping into living my life by default, instead of taking hold with both hands of the time and abilities I have and stretching them in every possible way, has jolted me enough to take a look at other areas of my life. My social media use definitely bears more looking at--I've already backed away from Facebook about as much as I can, because that's not a pleasant space any longer, but I can still get lost in Pinterest for hours. My to-do list of art/craft projects is longer than my ta-done! list, again, with supplies kicking around waiting for "someday" to arrive. Community opportunities that would require me to occasionally leave my house and go do things keep coming my way.

I hear there's an eclipse to watch, with appropriate care, today.

Whichever of these things I choose to do, or not do, I want to at least engage my brain long enough to make a choice. I want to be present in my own life, and not on autopilot.

What choices are you making today?

No comments: