What are we talking about today?

Some days have themes. I don't necessarily post something in each of these topic areas every week.

Sunday: Church-related or spiritual things.
Monday: Running.
Tuesday: Books.
Wednesday: Transportation.
Friday: Green living.

18 October 2015

The Question is More Important Than the Answer

It's day two of the Texas Book Festival! I'm excited about another day of literary fabulousness.

I was far away, so it's a bit blurry, but that's Margaret
Atwood in the House Chamber.
Denise & I kicked off Day One with Margaret Atwood, who was spectacular, as you might expect. She mentioned being part of the Future Library Project, with her manuscript Scribbler Moon sealed in a box to remain unrevealed until 2114. So the final audience question of the morning was: how should Ms. Atwood's fans console themselves knowing she has a book that they'll never read?

She said, "There are many books in the world that you'll never read, and that's because you've never heard of them. The best tribute you can make to Scribbler Moon is to find books you've never heard of and read them." And that's what the book festival is all about, I think--finding these great books we haven't heard of.

Margaret Atwood had many other great (and hysterical) things to say, including: "Access to books and reading is one of the cornerstones of a democracy," in answer to an audience question about whether the public library had run its course. More on that anon, in a day or two, I hope.

Other authors I saw on Day 1:

Lemony Snicket, All the Wrong Questions: A Complete Mystery Gift Set
Oh, wow, was he ever funny. I didn't stop laughing the entire session, and at the end he stood at the door to say, "Thank you for leaving!" to his attendees. I definitely want to read this series.

Bill Konigsberg, The Porcupine of Truth; Adam Silvera, More Happy Than Not; and Maggie Thrash, Honor Girl: A Graphic Memoir
So many things of note in this session. 1) If I were going to get a book signed yesterday, it would have been Maggie Thrash's, but I was worried about missing the next session, so I stayed away from the signing tent. 2) They all spoke about the importance of seeing themselves in the stories they read as kids, teens, and young adults. 3) Adam Silvera in particular talked about how getting a job four subway stops from his home made such a difference in how he saw himself and how he saw the world. That little bit of stretching the boundaries of his world changed his life.

Taye Diggs and Shane Evans, Mixed Me!
Taye Diggs started with, "I wanted my son to have words from me that it's okay to be who he is, that he should be proud," and the session only got better from there. Incredible.

Amelia Gray, Gutshot: Stories; and Daniel Handler, We Are Pirates
Neither these books nor this panel are suitable for children. I'm not even sure it was suitable for some adults (although I laughed really hard anyway). And today's post title was the beginning of Daniel Handler's answer to the question, "Why do you write?"

See my tweets from Day Two (and read tweets from Day One) here: https://twitter.com/cheekysu. I'm working from mobile devices, so try not to laugh too hard at all the typos.

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...