What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

30 June 2017

Clean & Dirty

What with the ongoing good news about pesticides (spoiler: not actually good news), I thought this week would be a good time to revisit the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen, which are fruits and vegetables the Environmental Working Group has identified as the most likely and least likely to still be hanging on to pesticides, respectively. Alas, the Dirty Dozen are also known here in Su-Land as "these are a few of my favourite things."

Most of us on a budget can't afford to buy organic, I know. I get it. I can't, either. But information helps when it's decision time at the supermarket and the apples and the mangoes are both on sale this week. Generally speaking, if you have enough wiggle room in your budget to get one or two things that are organic, go for the dirty dozen, and save the conventionally grown choices for the clean fifteen. Another great choice, as always and if you can manage it, is to go to your local farmer's market, where you can talk to and purchase from the folks who grow and sell the fruit and veg.

So! The Dirty Dozen:
Image source.

And the Clean Fifteen:
Image source.

Happy shopping, if possible.

No comments: