What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

05 February 2016

Marking Time

I have three 2016 calendars in my house, and I can only suppose the only reason I don't have four calendars is because no one has shown up at my door to hand me a fourth one.

My favourite of my 2016
calendars. This month is
Charing Cross in Glasgow.
I've been there.
I am a fan of calendars, if for no other reason than it's a cheap and easy way to get nice artwork/photography in my home. A new picture every month--how great is that?

But what do I do with it once the year is over? Well, in years past if I liked the calendar enough, I took it apart and kept the pictures. Unfortunately, if you're planning on being on the planet for more than a couple of years this gets problematic in a hurry--even if I swap them out once a month as the manufacturers (sort of) intended, there are only so many picture frames that one household can support.

Recycling is an obvious answer, although the slick pages of a calendar make it harder than your average paper to recycle. Turning it into confetti for your New Year party is probably a reasonable choice. Kids' art projects? Repurpose into book covers? Just keep reusing it and embrace that you're always on the wrong day?

I don't know. But a good start is probably not having three calendars per year.

Do you have a green solution to old calendars?

7 comments:

Hart Johnson said...

Use them to make cards and such? My mom reuses cards--pastes in new content... no reason not to use calendars with old cards to make a new thing...

Su said...

Oooh, that's a good one. I do the same with cards, because what else can you do?

Unknown said...

Donate to schools art programs. Or talk to a teacher to see if they want them for collages.

Unknown said...

They can be reused, if you really wanted. Don't reuse via the right month, but what day the month starts. Just learned that tidbit the other day.

Barb Chamberlain said...

Turn into wrapping paper?

I'm reading Zero Waste Home. She add a couple of Rs to the traditional list, starting with REFUSE. You cut down waste by never accepting it in the first place. Tough love :)

Barb Chamberlain said...

Agh. Why do I only see the typos AFTER hitting Publish comment?

She *adds*, in previous comment.

Su said...

Oooh, I've read that! I like refuse. I'm honestly not sure how my current 3-calendar situation happened. I suspect people are sneaking them in while I'm away.