What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

05 July 2011

Teaser Tuesday #14

Before we get to the Teaser Tuesday bit, I have a question for Goodreads or other book site users: What do you do if you don't finish a book? Do you write a review that tells people why you didn't finish? Do you remove it from your list? Leave it dangling? Move it to "read" but don't put a finishing date? I'm just curious as to what other people's general practise (if you have one) is.

And now, the teaser you've been waiting for:

Dash & Lily's Book of Dares, Rachel Cohn & David Levithan

He brandished a volume of Winston Churchill's memoirs and pointed it accusingly at me.

"And while I will never allow myself to be banned from the Strand, I promise not to seek information when you are sitting at that particular desk."







teasertuesdays32
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be ReadingAnyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

6 comments:

erica and christy said...

I haven't done reviews on Goodreads, but generally (like on Amazon), if I can't give it 4 stars, I don't review it. I'm not sure if that's the way to go or not, but that's been my policy (and I don't do a lot of reviews anyway). I have had a couple of self-pubbed books where I've emailed the author, mentioned that I have some suggestions, and asked if they wanted them privately.

I just finished a book yesterday and CAN'T start another until I get a couple more chapters done on mine!
erica

Anonymous said...

If you didn't finish it because you didn't like it, I'd rate it appropriately. Then I'd write a review on what you did read stating that you didn't read the rest. I just take the book off my shelf because I usually don't review things.

Deniz Bevan said...

What a great teaser!
I don't really keep track of what I read on Goodreads - I use my blog for that. I'm still struggling to import all my LibraryThing accounts into Goodreads; so far, my Goodreads profile isn't a very accurate picture of my library at all...

Su said...

Good suggestions! So far my practise has been to just remove it from my shelf, but I do see other people do "I didn't finish it and this is why" reviews.

Felicity Grace Terry said...

Once started I tend to finish a book no matter what. That said if I wasn't to finish a book I'd be sure to 'review' it, telling people why I was unable to finish it.

Su said...

I may start doing that. In this case, the books I gave up on were classics, and I don't think "This book was written 100 years ago, so I thought it was boring" makes a good review. On the other hand, a more modern book that induces a coma might merit a mention of why I put it down.