What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

16 April 2012

N is for Nora

So, Nora. The first Nora I remember knowing about is the female lead in Pete's Dragon, and I've always loved that Nora, because she had all the best lines and also all the best songs. We sang "Candle on the Water" in choir my senior year, and I thought it was brilliant. Still do, in fact.

Possibly my favourite moment
in the movie. Source
Nora
Could be from the Arabic word 'noor', meaning 'light', or a shortened form of 'Honora'. Peaked in popularity in the U.S. in 1880, when it was #55. However, it's currently #3 in Norway, so that's something!

Famous Noras: Nora Roberts, Nora Ephron, Norah Jones.

Fictional Noras: Nora (Pete's Dragon), Nora (A Doll's House), Norah Silverberg (Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist), Nora Baker (Cheaper by the Dozen, 2003 film version)

My Noras: Just one, that I know of: a younger sister of a former roommate. She and I share our love for... actually, I can't think of any TV shows we don't mutually gush over. Funnest Nora ever. Also, I have a character called Nora, who is in the same grade as the MC's older brother. So far, we've seen her a couple of times, and that's it.

Any Noras in the crowd?

Sources:
Behind the Name
Baby Name Wizard

5 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

I gave your question some thought and can't come up with a Nora anywhere in my world. Hmmm, will have to give that some thought.

icedgurl said...

trekking your blog!!! just thinking... maybe i should be "nora" for others..

cheers!
..TREK..

Liz A. said...

On In Plain Sight, Mary named her daughter Nora, although I think she spelled it Norah.

Nora Sue said...

I think Nora's who add an 'h' to the end are pretentious.

Emily Genther said...

Nora with an "h" on the end makes my mind skip the "r" and read the name as "Noah".