What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

01 June 2012

Groats

I've been reading the No Trash Project tumblr page for weeks, at first because it fitted so well into my research thesis, and then continuing because I like it so much. As far as the project goes, it's the same as so many others: Reduce packaging and other waste. Since reducing waste is one of my life goals as well, you can imagine how happy I am to keep reading this site.

She (I'm not sure of the gender of the project owner, actually, but for some reason I feel like she revealed that she's a woman somewhere along the line. Anyway, we're going with 'she') shared a couple of posts a few weeks ago about making her own milk substitutes, first from oat groats, then from almonds. I'm happy to cut back on my dairy intake (all the dairy I eat can't possibly be healthy), save some money (if possible), and not have a gallon jug to either recycle or reuse after-- I'd much prefer to not bring all those jugs home to begin with.

Source.
The problem was that I didn't know what oat groats were. So I turned to our good friend Google, to find out that groats are essentially steel-cut oats before they're cut. Brilliant, since I have those on hand.

The good thing about both recipes was that the leftovers-- the oats and the chopped almonds-- are perfectly edible, which makes me really happy, because that's even less waste. I used one of my mesh produce sacks to strain out the solids from the milk, which worked pretty well, although a finer mesh would have been better.

The verdict? I prefer the almond milk. It had a better taste, IMO, and also made more milk. It worked well in my tea and cereal. So, I think we have a winner-- maybe not all the time, but certainly a couple of times a month. I'd love to get to the point that I can make most of my milk at home and only buy a gallon if I need a lot of milk for something. For the future, I'd also like to try making my own rice milk to see how well that works.

Do you ever drink non-dairy milks? Do you like them? Have you ever made your own?

No comments: