What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

31 May 2012

Greg

So here's a name I've known and loved for many years.

Greg
Short for Gregory, which comes from a Latin cognate of the Greek verb gregoros, meaning watchful or alert. Currently the 279th most popular name for boys in the US; it peaked at #21 for a couple of years in the '60s. It's #208 in Quebec, but less popular-- in the low 300s-- in other parts of Canada. Because there have been so many saints (at least four) and popes (16) called Gregory, the name has never really gone out of popularity in the Christian, and particularly Catholic, world.

Still nice even in black-and-
white. Source.
Famous Gregs: The aforementioned popes and saints; Gregory Peck; Greg LeMond (professional cyclist; first American to win the Tour de France); Gregor Mendel.

Fictional Gregs: Greg Brady, The Brady Bunch; Gregory Goyle, Harry Potter series; Gregory House, House.

My Gregs: I have a friend (maybe more like an acquaintance now, since I've only seen him online for the last 10 years) called Greg who is a fellow tennis lover and all-around nice guy. And, of course, I have a character called Greg: He's my main character's (Sybil) eventual love interest. In the meantime, they've been friends since the fourth grade, and Greg's best friend is Sybil's really irritating brother Andy. (Yes, it's one of those kind of stories.) As an older character, Greg is confident, friendly, and popular; as a younger character, he's unsure and bumbling. Somehow, I have to connect those dots.

Do you know any Gregs? Do you like the name?

Sources:
Baby Name Wizard
Behind the Name
Wikipedia

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.