What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

07 May 2012

Script Frenzy: The Aftermath

You may remember, in the dim and distant past, that I mentioned I was participating in Script Frenzy in April (in addition to the A to Z Challenge, my undergrad research project, and the other four classes I was supposed to be working on). 

Here's the short version: I didn't win. 

The idea in Script Frenzy is to write a 100-page script or series of scripts. I've won NaNoWriMo twice in a row now, finishing with well over 100 single-spaced pages each time, with none of the white space that scripts have. One hundred pages should be easy, right? Yeah, in hindsight that was a dumb thought.

In real life, scriptwriting is harder than novel writing, at least for me. In order to write about my subject properly (a ballerina in her first principal role), I would have needed to do a ton of research, which I did not have time for. So I tried to wing it, and managed to get 26 pages written. I don't know what I'll do with them.

Will I do it again? Yes, I think so. If I hadn't taken quite so long to settle on a firm thesis for my undergrad research, I think I would have had more time for the script. However, that project was also more difficult than anticipated. (Will I ever learn? Probably not.)

Did you do Script Frenzy? Will you do it next year? What should my next script be about?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

You have been busy! Doing both! No, write novels, but I shall take a look at script frenzy.

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your next script could be about an over achieving student who finally bites off more than she can chew. Just a thought.

farawayeyes said...

I'm jealous, even if you didn't finish. I did the A to Z Challenge this year and it was not as much fun as I thought it would be. Next year,I'm up for 'Script Frenzy', but first I need to do ton of research and that's on script/screenwriting, not a particular topic. I have no idea how to write a script, but I usually don't let that stop me.

NaNoWriMo 2011 was a first time for me and I loved it. I developed the idea that just by starting yo're a winner. So, Congrats.

Golden Eagle said...

I've never done ScriptFrenzy or written any kind of script; sometime I'd like to try it, though, and I'm considering next year.

Su said...

@Carole: A bit, yeah! :)

@Delores: I read that to a coworker and she laughed. A lot.

@farawayeyes: Thanks! They have a lot of tips for formatting and whatnot on the site. I own Robert McKee's Story, which is about scriptwriting, so I'm planning to read it before next year.

@Eagle: Cool! I definitely want to give it another go.

Tracy Krauss said...

Hmm... this is something I've never participated in. I do NaNoWriMo each year, though. As a published playwright (I currently have five plays in print with three different play houses) I wonder if its something I'd like to try.

Su said...

Oh, wow. I guess if you're looking for a "write a script as fast as I can" challenge, then it would be great! Otherwise... sounds like you have a nice spot in the scriptwriting world already! :)