What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

19 January 2016

2016 Reading Challenges

I posted this pic in October & STILL
haven't finished all of them. Sigh...
In keeping with my goal to read 100+ books this year, I've decided to join a few reading challenges around the interwebs beyond my usual Goodreads Challenge. If you're looking for some extra reading motivation, join me in a couple of these:

I Love Libraries Reading Challenge
I'm starting out with a goal of "Young adult - 24". This will probably go up as the year progresses, since about 90% of my books come from the library; however, in case I really get going on the Mount TBR Challenge below, I'm playing it safe with my library use.

Who am I kidding? My librarians know me by name, in a city with nearly one million people, for goodness' sakes. I'll be surpassing this goal in no time. Anyway, part of the signup is to share why I love libraries, but gosh, what's not to like? Free books (both a budget-friendly and an earth-friendly option!), internet access, journal access--I love that one!, and just a happy place to hang out. Libraries are treasures.

Read it Again, Sam
I re-read. I re-read a lot. However, I made the decision a couple years ago to not include re-reads in my Goodreads total, so everything I do for this challenge is on top of my 100+ goal I already set. That being the case, I'm going with "Déjà vu: Reread 4 books" as my initial goal.

Woman Challenge
This one is a no-brainer. I am a woman who would like to be a published author, so if I can't manage to read women's works for at least one in five of my books this year, what am I even doing? Therefore, I'm going for the highest level on this challenge, "Level 4: WONDER WOMAN - read 20+ books written by a woman author".

The challenge host has asked participants to list their three favourite women writers, so off the top of my head I'm going with Jane Austen, Laura Wilder, and J.K. Rowling.

Mount TBR Challenge
Most of my TBRs that I own (a requirement for this challenge) are e-books, and fairly low (most of them) on my priority list. Still, it would be nice to move some of them to the "read" column, so I'm setting my goal for this one as "Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s". I especially appreciate that for this challenge, if I decide a book is not for me, it still counts as being moved off the TBR mountain. That's the only thing I use unfinished books for!

Are you participating in any reading challenges in 2016? Any of these strike your fancy? (If you want even more challenges, Bev at My Reader's Block has quite a nice list for you to check out.)

3 comments:

J E Oneil said...

I think it's quite admirable that the librarians know you by name :). You sure do have a busy reading year ahead of you. I'm very envious!

Su said...

Well, you know. We'll see what happens in real life. According to Goodreads, I'm already behind! But, reading is cheaper than both therapy and theatre (which was my 2015 therapy of choice), so there we have it.

Kenya (Reviews May Vary) said...

oooo... theatre is one of my therapies of choice as well! Hope your challenges are going well!
-Kenya