What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

18 January 2016

Hello (a little late), 2016

I'll try to have twice as much fun in
2016 so you're not missing out on
too much, sweetheart, but I draw the
line at making that face.
Y'all, I really don't like living in a year that Chadwick never lived in. (Yes, the anniversary is coming up. More on that anon.) It kind of sucks.

I guess this is what passes for a New Year's Resolution post around here. So, some goals I've set for 2016:

1. Run the Indy Mini in May.
This race has been on my bucket list since I was 20. It's basically the reason that I started running again after a long hiatus after middle school. But ever since I worked up to running a half marathon distance, the timing has never worked out for me to be in Indianapolis on Mini day. This year, ladies and gents. I am registered, I am paid, and it will take an act of God to keep me from finishing that race.

2. Eat the correct nutrients to fuel the running/riding/etc.
I hesitate to say this is a diet, but the fact is that middle age is coming for me and I'll be a lot better prepared to meet it, health-wise, if I eat less chocolate and more veggies. And I love veggies, as it happens, so it's not really a hardship.

3. Arrive everywhere early enough to get in at least five minutes of writing.
So, from time to time an article appears on the internet about whether chronic tardiness is the worst vice ever. While I'm really not willing to engage on this, I am of the opinion that it is not the worst (I mean, surely being a vicious gossip, or chronically unkind, or someone who steals things, or many other things, are worse), but I would still like to arrive places in plenty of time to pull out my WiP and get some words out ahead of my meeting/coffee/etc. (The fact that it's courteous is a nice bonus.) Which leads me to...

4. Write every day.
I want to finish Sybil's story in 2016, and that's just not going to happen unless I put in serious writing time, even on days when the well is dry. And also...

5. Take on some writing I wouldn't normally do.
Whether for work or just to stretch my writing muscles, I'd like some new writing challenges in 2016. I already have one in front of me for the next couple of weeks, courtesy of my friend Bill, and I'm excited for the change of pace.

6. Read 100+ books.
After a couple years of only managing about 50, thanks to grad school and other life things, I want to get my reading back on track this year. My to-read list is long and it's not getting any shorter. By the way, are you on Goodreads? Let's be friends.

These are pretty modest goals compared to some of my more ambitious years, but since I'm only just struggling to get back on my feet after 2015 slammed me into the ground, I'm cool with it.

What about you? What are some of your goals for this year?

9 comments:

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

A hundred books? My goal is 12, one a month. That's a stretch for me. I would love to read 100 books in a year, but it's not happening any time soon.

I'm also committed to making 10 pairs of pj pants this year. Because the girls have lots of friends and they have lots of birthdays and that's what the Hairdryers are giving for gifts this year.

Also, I want to learn to knit...or crochet. I have a pattern, but I don't even know enough to know which it is.

Su said...

Ay yi yi, if only you lived closer, I could help you with that! Maybe it's time for a Cheeky trip to the Hairdryer house.

I read fast, which helps. But it's not always a good thing when I want to slow down and enjoy a book. Nope! Bus-riding also helps, and I always have a "standing in line" book on my Kindle. And I don't watch much TV and never go to the movies, so this is my entertainment.

J E Oneil said...

It's lucky for you that you like veggies. That should be one goal down then. Good luck with all your writing. I hope you can squeeze some time in. And over a hundred books? Wow!

Su said...

I need to have it be a habit that I'm either reading or writing while I'm waiting, instead of playing on my phone.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

Yes. Playing on the phone eats away at my reading time, too.

Jenni at talking hairdryer said...

The Hairdryer house could use a Cheeky visit...

Su said...

And the Cheeky house would love to see some Hairdryers!

Unknown said...

Hola chiquita! You are so brave and you're really doing a great job of keeping yourself focused and placing one foot in front of another. If you *ever* want to do a writer's meetup, I could sure use some butt kicking, myself, to get mine off the ground. I have a few partial chapters written, but I lose steam quickly. Maybe an afternoon tea at the Steeping Room and writing hookup?

Su said...

Yes! Great idea!