What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

02 March 2008

This little light of mine

"The true measure of an individual is how he treats a person who can do him no good."--Ann Landers

So I get these daily e-mails with inspirational quotes, plus a thought to go with the quote, and a mixed bag of other stuff. Some are truisms, some are fluff, some are complete rubbish. But I've started saving the good ones, if for no other reason than to have something to blog about.

I don't think there is anyone currently in my life who fits the category of "a person who can do me no good." Seriously. Do I need to change my circle? Move to a place in which I can help people? Stop hanging around my current gang of friends?

I don't suppose that is Ms. Landers' point. She is, to some extent, just repeating the Golden Rule: treat others the way you want to be treated. How do I speak to the cashier at United? The girl at the McDonalds' window? The bus driver? The elderly woman at church who glares at everyone around her? It is easy to be kind to my friends, the patients at work (getting paid to be nice goes a long way), and people who are already nice to be around. What about those who aren't?

What message am I sending about myself in the way I treat others?

No comments: