What are we talking about today?

Some days have themes. I don't necessarily post something in each of these topic areas every week.

Sunday: Church-related or spiritual things.
Monday: Running.
Tuesday: Books.
Wednesday: Transportation.
Friday: Green living.

29 October 2008

Voting, Part She'll have to run out of things to say soon.

I voted in Texas for the first time in the '00 elections.

Registering to vote was actually quite high on my priority list when I moved here; after all, I had grown up in a voting family and went to a school that mass-produced good citizens (at least, they tried to). But a day or two before the general election, I was frantically scouring the internet to find out where I was supposed to go vote. (Turned out it was the school across the street.)

That was also the only election that I have ever had a pollster call me. And it was a boring, boring phone call. There were quite a few episodes about polling on The West Wing (if you don't know by now that I'm a Wingnut, then you haven't been paying attention), but for some reason they never mentioned how boring it is to have someone endlessly ask you questions for 10 minutes.

I don't think I've mentioned yet my tendency to pick the loser in elections. Three presidential elections, three midterms-- and inevitably, the one office that I'm most interested in is the one in which I pick the loser. (To be fair, I did pick the winner in '00.)

So, I'm putting my vote up for sale, if anyone has a candidate you'd like me to vote for to ensure his/her loss. I'm really good at it. Serious bids only, please.

No comments: