What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

28 September 2011

In the Darkness

If you come to this blog specifically for my Have Bus, Will Travel posts... I'm very sorry. I'm quite eager to return to the Exploring Austin Almost as Slowly as Possible life, as soon as I get caught up on homework. And once I do, you will all be the first to know. Second. Third. First me, then Chad, then you lot.

Instead, let me tell you a sad tale about my bicycle light. I don't have one anymore. I did have one this morning, and in fact up to about 12:45 this afternoon I had a perfectly functional bike light perched on my handlebars. But as I was locking up the bike before class, I somehow bumped it and knocked it loose. So I picked it up and put it back on its clamp, and went on my merry way.

When I came back out after class, I unlocked the bike and went about half a block before I noticed that my light clamp was empty. So I thought I must have knocked it loose again and decided to look around when I got back (it was a quick errand). I did look around, and walked back and forth between my parking spot and the spot where I noticed the truancy a couple of times, to no avail. I even checked my panniers, all my messenger bag pockets, and my locker. Nope. Not there.

If I had a bike made of light, I
wouldn't need one on my handlebars.
(I got a locker! It is so exciting! There are only about 100 available, so I applied without much hope, but it must have been my lucky day. Whoever thought that college students don't need lockers is cuckoo!)

So here's my problem: It's illegal to ride a bike after dark in Texas with no light. Not to mention that it would be a bloody stupid thing to do. And I don't get off work until 7. So, I have three hours to decide what to do, but I have a sneaky suspicion I'll be taking the bus home today.

What's something important that you've lost lately? Does it make you feel like you might be going prematurely senile? Who else feels neglected in the locker department?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't lose things. I'm too busy finding things for my husband. Seriously!!
Well, I did lose a ring once. Never did find it. And I know where it happened and how it happened. It wasn't my fault, really!! I guess someone picked it up. Good find for them.
Hope you get a new light soon.

Su said...

Heh. Yeah, here in Chez Cheeky it's the other way around; Chad has to find things for me. :/ And as for the light, I'll be using his until either he decides to start riding again or I go to Wal-Mart. We shall see...