What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

19 December 2016

Eight Weeks

A long time ago, in a galaxy
far, far, away, at my first
half-marathon. The only
thing I've retained from
this picture is that
face.
In a moment of complete lunacy a couple months ago, I signed up for the El Paso Half Marathon.

My reasoning was: hey, I have some friends in El Paso I'd like to see; it gives me a reason to keep running when it's freaking cold outside; and my reward at the end is a warm trip to the desert (and some mountains, I hear) in the middle of Cincinnati's deep freeze.

The race is now eight weeks away. Reason #2, to keep running through the cold and dark winter, is upon me whether I like it or not. I guess this is one way to make sure I go outside and acclimate (I mean, I don't want to be embarrassed in front of my friends when I come limping across the finish as the DFL because I didn't bother to train).

Bugger. Here goes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You can do it!! (With or without a bit of frostbite.)

J E Oneil said...

I don't know how you do it. Good luck with all your running. :)

Su said...

I did a 20° run this evening, and came back with two sweaty spots and all the rest cold to the touch. And that was under at least two layers everywhere. (Except my head, for obvious reasons.) This is not the most fun thing I've ever done. On the upside, unless there's a horrible cold front in El Paso that weekend, it's bound to be warmer than what I'm training in, so that's something.