What are we talking about today?

Some days have themes. I don't necessarily post something in each of these topic areas every week.

Sunday: Church-related or spiritual things.
Monday: Running.
Tuesday: Books.
Wednesday: Transportation.
Friday: Green living.

26 December 2016

On the Second Day of Christmas

For the 12 Days of Christmas, I'm sharing second, third, or otherwise not-first verses of popular Christmas carols.


It's hard to blame the poor page for getting cold. I'm cold
just looking at this. Image source: Abraham Chang
on freeimages.com
.
"Good King Wenceslas"

By: John Mason Neale

Written in: 1853

I have thoughts: Does anybody know any of the verses of this song? I basically get to take my pick, right? By the way, the "Feast of Stephen" in the first verse happens to be today, December 26. I love it when a plan comes together. By many accounts Wenceslas was a good guy, just maybe not quite as good as the song says.

Verse: Tough one, because the final verse is so compelling, but here's the also-encouraging verse four:
"Sire, the night is darker now,
And the wind blows stronger;
Fails my heart, I know not how,
I can go no longer."
"Mark my footsteps, good my page;
Tread thou in them boldly;
Thou shalt find the winter's rage
Freeze thy blood less coldly."
Listen:


Sources:
Wikipedia
Hymns and Carols of Christmas

No comments:

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...