What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

31 January 2017

Oath of Allegiance

Once upon a time, this happened:
Gorgeous Allegiance logo is from
the Allegiance website. Seriously,
go see it on Feb 19. It's critical
to where we are now.
And yes, I can hear you all reminding me that you haven't forgotten yet because I haven't given you the chance. However, should our current course continue following its likely trajectory, many folks will have tough decisions to make in the coming weeks and months about where their allegiance lies. (Allegiance is great musical, by the way, that's also worth checking out in regard to where we're headed--it's being encored in cinemas on February 19.)

I can't help with making those tough choices, because that's something each person has to decide. What I can do, on my designated book day, is share the moment when Georg von Trapp has to make that decision for himself--a moment the musical speeds past in a hurry, as if the decision had already been made, when the book shows that it hadn't:
"Listen. This is the chance of a lifetime, it really is. Just think what can be done with such a submarine. It is perfectly incredible. ... Of course one has to accept such an amazing offer."

We turned back, and suddenly he said, "... I can't run a submarine for the Nazis, can I? Of course not. It's absolutely out of the question."

We were on the other side and turned again. On the way back: "But perhaps it's wrong not to do it. After all, he is the head of the State now. I am a Navy man. This is really the only thing I know and can do well. Perhaps this is the Will of God!" and he waved the letter. "Everybody is warning me to think of the future of my children, which is gravely endangered, the way we live now."

Once more we turned. I knew there was nothing I could say. This is one of the times when a man is all alone--just he and his God. It is one of those dangerously precious moments when he has to say yes or no, and only he can make the decision. ...

Our speed slowed down remarkably. We were heading for the exit of the park. Before we reached it, Georg came out of deep, deep thinking and, a little woefully, he said, "No, I can't do it. When I took my oath on our proud old flag, I swore: 'With the Emperor for God and my country.' This would be against God and against my country. I'd break my old oath."
Your reasons and my reasons for what we do next may not be the same as Georg's reasons. You and I may not even have the same reasons, even if we reach the same conclusions. I can only say this: do not take our coming days and weeks and months lightly. Let's all give our next steps the consideration that they deserve--and then act.

Book excerpt is trimmed to meet the general guidelines of keeping quoted material to 300 words or less to avoid violating copyright. As far as I know, The Sound of Music is not in the public domain.

No comments: