What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

21 April 2009

Retreat!

We had a women's retreat on Friday evening (okay, more like a women's evening than retreat. Whatever.), which I all but forgot about in all the excitement on Saturday. I won't bother with the blow-by-blow recap, because I know it's just not that interesting to read about an event you weren't at. If you really, really want to know, I'm happy to oblige.

The event title was "Daughters of Eve," with the theme being stewardship. First round was stewardship of the earth; second round was stewardship of our bodies. Both of these are topics in which I am particuarly interested, as regular readers have probably already learned.

So I did giggle a bit at the environmental portion of the evening; I come from a family that was into conservation long before conservation was cool. It goes with the low-income territory. Things that people now find remarkable ("Hey, we can use this butter tub for leftovers!" "Don't throw out that bag; it can be re-used." "Put those vegetable peelings into the compost bin.") are things that my grandparents, and probably all their friends, did in the '50s. Who knew that the rest of society would catch up?

I guess this is Earth week, based on the number of websites and TV stations that are all greened up. Which works out nicely, because I've been contemplating an earth-friendly blog series of my own. Mostly for my own amusement, of course, but also in case anyone is wondering about such things as phosphate-free dishwasher detergent. Stay tuned.

Anyway, this post was supposed to be about the retreat. It was a great evening, with fellowship and laughter as well as good messages from all. And to think that womens' events used to be boring! They have gotten much more fun in recent years. Or maybe I've gotten more fun.

No comments: