What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

31 July 2009

Cycle's End

Yeah, so blogging every day in July was a pipe dream. Especially considering I was on holiday with spotty internet. I don't know what I was thinking. Perhaps August will be better.

I will regale you with tales from California for the next few days, but let's just start with current events, shall we? This morning, I got my bike out to ride to work. I had a big silly grin on my face (as ever, when I miss out on anything for a few days) at the start because I was having so much fun.

There were a couple of things missing: 1. My stopwatch died while we were in California, so I was timer-free this morning, and 2. The big dog that normally acts like he'd like to have me for breakfast was nowhere to be seen. Odd.

So I'm rolling along, all fine and dandy, and was just about to cross the last major street between me and my destination, and I start to slow down for a red light, and I feel a snap. I squeezed the brake lever a couple of more times before I realise that I've begun to speed up again. Oh, no-- my brake cable broke.

I got safely to work, and safely back home again, but relying soley on my front brakes is risky business. Firstly, they are not too reliable themselves, and secondly, I have a hard time judging how slow I need to be moving before hitting said brakes. But, I got there in the end.

And tomorrow, I get to go be fitted for a brand-new bike. So, it's not all bad.

No comments: