What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

11 April 2009

Another 10K!

I ran my favourite distance today- 10K. I LOVE 10Ks.

Usually.

I also love to be warm. I'd rather be too hot than too cold, except when running, when I'd like to be a touch cool at the beginning so that I'm nice and warm once I get going. But, the temps were in the low 40s this morning, and the wind was blowing somewhere around 20 mph. And I was wearing shorts.

The race director made a joke at the beginning about this not being a day for PRs, we all laughed, and I totally agreed-- and not just because of the weather. I haven't done much in the way of speedwork the past couple of months; in fact, I've slacked off on all my running the past couple of weeks. So, I was out for the fun of it. My PR was 1:03:17, and I was just hoping to get under 1:10:00 today.

(BTW: It took me until mile 4 to get warm. And by then I was nearly done.)

Chad ran the 2-mile race today, so he was waiting for me just before the 6-mile mark and ran in with me. He told me that I was still under one hour. I thought he was exaggerating. I could see the 6-mile marker, so I started forwarding my iPod to the song I like to finish to (Scotland the Brave), since it is a few minutes long. I had to hit "next" several times before I got to it, so I thought I had loaded too many songs on my iPod.

We rounded a couple of corners before getting to the finish, and I saw the clock-- it said 1:02:30. I said, "Oh my gosh, you are KIDDING me!" before kicking it in and sprinting to the finish line as hard as I could go.

Result: New PR-- 1:02:54. Wow. The running club president said, "Imagine what you could do in good weather!"

Oh, I'm imagining, all right. We have another 10K in two months' time. This PR will not stand for long.

1 comment:

Haley said...

awesome!! your a champ!