What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

20 October 2010

Running on Town Lake

Well, running by Town Lake. Running on Town Lake would require a fishing boat, a storm, and Jesus in the flesh to extract me from the water after I tripped over a passing wave.

So, running the trail around Town Lake has been on my "to-do" list since we moved here. But until better motivation arrived in the form of Sarah being in town for the weekend and wanting to get a run in, I didn't manage it. We got up early enough to get downtown before dawn, managed to figure out the way there between the two of us, and started out.

Sarah runs a lot faster than I do. That's not saying much (all credit to Sarah for working so hard to get faster, of course), although I managed to keep up for an entire half-mile. :/ The trail is very scenic and nicely maintained, and is very well-used. The first weekend of October drew out half the city, or so it seemed, to take advantage of the nice weather and have a post-dawn run, instead of the pre-dawn madness we've been forced to participate in over the hot summer months. Plus, if my read of the local training landscape is correct, the fall/winter marathon training groups are pretty much all underway. We saw at least three of them, in fact: Tough Cookies, Gilbert's Gazelles and the Austin Runners Club. In addition to tons of adults, there were plenty of kids out, too. Good for them for starting a good habit early.

After trying to keep up with Sarah for a couple of miles, I slowed down and rested happily in the thought that we would meet up again eventually. In the end, Sarah did 10 miles and I did 8. And it was fabulous enough for me to want to make a repeat trip. Every weekend, if possible.

Wanna win the first-ever giveaway on Cheekyness? That's right, to celebrate my upcoming 700th post, I'm having a giveaway! Comment, follow or link to my blog to enter the drawing. Contest ends at 9 PM (CDT) October 23rd!

2 comments:

Meredith McCardle said...

8 miles is impressive! That sounds lovely. :)

Su said...

It is lovely! :) Another reason I like living here. I left out all the gory sweating-and-chafing details that I'm sure non-runners don't want to read, but it was a fabulous morning. :)