What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

18 July 2010

Aaah! I've gone picture-free!

Yep, I have all these posts with no pics again. And after resolving to do better about the decorations around here, too.

Some days, I read other blogs and realise what a lousy writer I really am. (No need to comment to make me feel better about this; it's not like I'm going to stop writing.) (Also no need to comment to agree.) And I read one such blog this morning, and have added it to my blogroll, and I now share it with you:

Emdashes. If you are at all of the literary or pop-culture persuasion, go read it. And if you are wondering what an emdash is, I went and asked our nice friends at Wikipedia, and they said, "If your readers all went to school, they should know what an em dash is. And it has a space, you moron!"

So I said, "Thanks for clearing that up, Wikipedia, but you are being a bit unfair. After all, most of my friends and I went to public school. Besides, we are getting old and can't be expected to remember everything that we once knew."

And then Wikipedia grudgingly gave me this definition: "A dash is a punctuation mark. It is similar in appearance to a hyphen, but a dash is longer and it is used differently. The most common versions of the dash are the en dash (–) and the em dash (—)."

After which I said, "Thank you, Wikipedia; was that so hard?"

Then Wikipedia went off in a huff and isn't speaking to me until I ask it a really hard question.

2 comments:

Timbra Wiist said...

susan, i read your blog, not so good at the commenting lately. . .i just came upon an emdash this AM due to an html code I had to embed. . . now I know what it's called. . thank you!

Su said...

Wow, funny how we all come across stuff at the same time! :)