What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

05 September 2010

And a Final Thought

I finished On Writing quite some time ago, and have moved on to more challenging books ("more challenging" because they are in Spanish, not because they have harder words). But I did have one more thought to share.

Mr. King talked about his work habits; he writes about 2000 words per day when he has a project in progress. How much one writes per day varies from person to person; he mentions Anthony Trollope, for instance, who wrote for 2 1/2 hours exactly every morning. When his time was up, he would stop mid-sentence if need be. On the other hand, if he finished a novel with time remaining, he would put it to one side and start a new one.

The basic advice he gives here is to read a lot and write a lot. I really am trying to read a lot, although again, my current reads are all in Spanish; I do have to acknowledge my circumstances, after all, and if I can't read in Spanish then I have no business majoring in it. As for writing a lot... well, that's one reason I have this blog. While it's not exactly fiction on here, it's also not a news report; I do give my own spin & commentary to the events in my world. And sometimes (like today) I just share the thoughts that are floating around in my brain that need an escape valve.

And I still recommend On Writing to anyone who is remotely interested in 1) Stephen King, or 2) Writing. It's a great book.

No comments: