What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

07 April 2017

F is for Flying #AtoZChallenge

Join me on the A to Z Challenge: I'll share a different thing from my new home, Cincinnati, every day for 26 days in April.

As I understand it, Cincinnati was a major pork market once upon a time, and the locals have been slightly obsessed with pigs ever since. Why the pigs have wings, I'm not sure, although I've heard the winged pigs represent the generous souls of the long-gone porkers.

Also, the local marathon is called the Flying Pig. I'm going to miss it this year because it's the day after the Indy Mini and I'll still be in Indiana. 2018, though, I'll be there with wings on.

Anyway, a few of the pigs, flying or otherwise, that I've spotted around town:

This was the first pig I saw in Cincy. And he's one of my favourites, as you can
probably imagine. He lives outside the Cincinnati Shakespeare Theatre
and I presume he's moving with them when they head to their new home this summer.
I don't know why he doesn't have any wings, except yadda yadda Shakespeare's
words already have fancy wingsipants. Or something.

Left: The little gal with lots of hometown pride lives at my post office.
I say hello to her when I stop by.
Center: Phantom of the Slopera lives at the Aronoff Center.
Presumably, one does not need wings when one is haunting
the basement of the Slopera House. I wonder if being a Slopera Pig
also earns 20,000€ a month? (Yes, I know it should be francs and not euros,
but the franc symbol is less widely recognisable.)
Right: This musical lady lives at Anderson Center, a quite nice facility
where I attended a work training. One of my coworkers patiently
held the door for me while I took this pic, because they've only known
me a few weeks and yet they already tolerate my quirks and foibles. They're the best.

No comments: