What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

01 July 2008

Sisters Praying, Part 1

So I'm "in charge" (if you can call it that) of the women's prayer group at South Plains that meets at 6:30 AM on Thursday mornings. The reason I'm in charge is that I am the one who sends out the weekly reminder e-mail, and I go to the women's ministry meetings to report about how the group is going.

We've been meeting since the week after spring break last year; I can't remember the date, but we have it written down somewhere. It was a bit of a fluke that the group got started at all, so I'm going to share the story.

The adult Bible class we were in at the time had a men's prayer group that met on Friday mornings at 7. There were anywhere from 2-6 men who got together, and I said to one of them that I thought that was a great idea, and I wished we had a women's group. He said, "So start one!" While I was explaining to him that me starting things has historically not worked out so well, Kathy spoke up and said, "We'll do it!" So I finished off my lame excuses with, "Okay, I guess we'll do it."

That was the week before spring break. The week of spring break, Kathy went out of town (along with a bunch of other people), so we waited to start the week after. I sent out an e-mail announcing such to our Bible class, but the church's webservant, who manages the e-mail groups, thought it was for everyone and sent it out to every Bible class. Suddenly, I had a flood of e-mails in my inbox asking when & where we would be meeting (since our Bible class already knew where we were meeting, I hadn't included that information in the e-mail), and I was in hot water with the church office for not reserving the room ahead of time like I was supposed to.

Anyway, we got the kinks worked out, and the prayer group has now been meeting for a year and three months. And we got our name (Sisters Praying) from an innocent remark made to me by a woman who isn't able to join us on Thursday mornings, but who had sent along a prayer request: "I am so thankful to have my sisters praying about (the situation)." So the next week, I changed the title of the e-mail to "Sisters Praying", the week after that, it had mysteriously changed in the bulletin, and it's been that way for about 6 months now.

Stay tuned for Part 2 tomorrow.

2 comments:

Aaron said...

Good story. Looking forward to part two.

Su said...

And... your wish is granted!