What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

15 March 2007

Perhaps I need a foghorn?

I have long suspected that there is a "bad driving" vibe, or aura, or something, that radiates out from Wal-Mart and extends to a mile in all directions. This vibe causes normal, sane people who ordinarily are not poor drivers to suddenly forget which parts of the car are which. But besides these four centres of death and destruction, there is one more in Lubbock: the intersection of 22nd Street and Nashville Avenue.

This intersection is in the heart of the Medical District, and is one I use regardless of which vehicle I am using. I have lost count of the number of times I have almost been hit by a careless motorist while cycling there (although I am sure it is in the double digits by now); this morning was one of those times. What is truly strange about this is: cyclists are not an uncommon sight in the Medical District. There are quite a few of us, actually.

So I don't know what the problem is.

No comments: