What are we talking about today?

Some days have themes. I don't necessarily post something in each of these topic areas every week.

Sunday: Church-related or spiritual things.
Monday: Running.
Tuesday: Books.
Wednesday: Transportation.
Friday: Green living.

29 June 2007

I give up

I have tried, since I was about 10 or 11, to be an informed citizen. I listened in on adult conversations. I watched the news. I read the paper. I check the internet. I try to evaluate what I hear and take it with a grain of salt.

Well, no more!! The local news is always depressing, and I am sick of turning on CNN (or whatever) to watch well-educated, well-dressed people shout at each other. I DON'T CARE. There are very, very few instances of any argument in which one side is completely right and the other is completely wrong. I'm not a Republican, I'm not a Democrat, I'm a moderate. And I'm about to become a hermit.

I think in future elections, I will vote using the close-my-eyes-and-point method. Or draw numbers out of a hat. Or vote for the one from whose name I can make the most words. (I don't see Barak Obama doing well in that one.). I can't not vote, though, because my junior high social studies teachers taught me that if I don't vote, I have not right to complain. And I'm not about to give that up.

Besides, I do have this picking-the-loser streak going. And I'm talking, all elections on all levels, not just the president. So I'd be willing to negotiate if anyone has a candidate they'd like me to vote for.

3 comments:

sparquay said...

I gave up a long time ago! Hahaha, welcome to the world of blissfully ignorant happiness. Knowing that no matter what happens in your government has really a small effect on how you choose your quality of life to be... I mean besides taxes and all that... really. I suppose if we had a total domineering government, there'd be more ot revolt about, but the little issues are just annoying. People will be people. And yet in my non-opinion about the government, I just proved I had an opinin about it! Well, I'm still happy... ignorant of current political news, but still happy.

Kar said...

I am mostly uninformed, although I feel like I ought to be (more informed). I have had periods where I got Time or read news online. I do think that sometimes they are going to talk about things that I don't need to know or be concerned with. For me it's a hard question. The constant everyday evils in personal levels seem so many that I don't see how I could have time or energy to ever pray for them all.

The larger issues - the child soldiers in the Sudan, important issues in our own country - stuff like that seems worth my time and energy - like I can actually do something to help.

Of course my actions lag behind my thoughts on it. Something I need help with.

Su said...

Me, too.

ShareThis

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...