What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

29 June 2007

I give up

I have tried, since I was about 10 or 11, to be an informed citizen. I listened in on adult conversations. I watched the news. I read the paper. I check the internet. I try to evaluate what I hear and take it with a grain of salt.

Well, no more!! The local news is always depressing, and I am sick of turning on CNN (or whatever) to watch well-educated, well-dressed people shout at each other. I DON'T CARE. There are very, very few instances of any argument in which one side is completely right and the other is completely wrong. I'm not a Republican, I'm not a Democrat, I'm a moderate. And I'm about to become a hermit.

I think in future elections, I will vote using the close-my-eyes-and-point method. Or draw numbers out of a hat. Or vote for the one from whose name I can make the most words. (I don't see Barak Obama doing well in that one.). I can't not vote, though, because my junior high social studies teachers taught me that if I don't vote, I have not right to complain. And I'm not about to give that up.

Besides, I do have this picking-the-loser streak going. And I'm talking, all elections on all levels, not just the president. So I'd be willing to negotiate if anyone has a candidate they'd like me to vote for.

3 comments:

Aaron said...

I gave up a long time ago! Hahaha, welcome to the world of blissfully ignorant happiness. Knowing that no matter what happens in your government has really a small effect on how you choose your quality of life to be... I mean besides taxes and all that... really. I suppose if we had a total domineering government, there'd be more ot revolt about, but the little issues are just annoying. People will be people. And yet in my non-opinion about the government, I just proved I had an opinin about it! Well, I'm still happy... ignorant of current political news, but still happy.

Kar said...

I am mostly uninformed, although I feel like I ought to be (more informed). I have had periods where I got Time or read news online. I do think that sometimes they are going to talk about things that I don't need to know or be concerned with. For me it's a hard question. The constant everyday evils in personal levels seem so many that I don't see how I could have time or energy to ever pray for them all.

The larger issues - the child soldiers in the Sudan, important issues in our own country - stuff like that seems worth my time and energy - like I can actually do something to help.

Of course my actions lag behind my thoughts on it. Something I need help with.

Su said...

Me, too.