What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

20 March 2011

I Can't Get Out!

Sunday is meant to be for devotional-type thoughts. And I'm trying, really I am, but I'm afraid I'm not feeling too charitable today. Why? Because I'm locked into my apartment complex.

Sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning, our apartment management fixed the lock on our pedestrian gate. Which is all well and good, except they didn't tell us they were planning this. No big deal for people coming in-- we all have cards to operate the big gate for vehicles, after all-- but going out is another story. The big gate operates with one of those metal detectors embedded in the pavement, and the little gate is key-operated. Meaning, if you don't have the key or a vehicle with you, you're stuck.

This was just a minor frustration; one "thanks for telling me" muttered under my breath later and I was perfectly happy to go on my way unimpeded. Until Friday afternoon, when Chad & I were trying to catch the bus to the store before some guests came over. We got the the gate and the key didn't work. We struggled with it for a second, gave up, looked around for a car coming to let us out, tried laying the key ring on the metal detector (Note: that doesn't work), and then watched the bus roll by without us.

So I marched over to the office to tell them that the lock was broken. Turns out they knew already, because other people had been by to complain before us, so they were working on it. All well and good, especially since the girl apologized for us missing the bus. We got out through the car gate and walked to the store instead.

This morning we went out to the bus to go to church, only to discover that the lock is still broken (and I tried my metal water bottle on the metal detector; it doesn't work, either). So we watched another bus roll by. This has to be the dumbest reason in history for missing church.

I sent a grumpy email to the apartments, explaining that we're upset because we've come to expect a high standard of service from the excellent management of these apartments and requesting that they view a broken lock as a priority, not a minor inconvenience. But that doesn't really make me feel any happier, because I'm sure that whoever reads the emails is not the person responsible for the locked gate in the first place, so I'm just making someone else's day unpleasant.

Is there something spiritual in all this? Probably. Am I going to bother finding it? No. Instead, I'm taking the advice of one of Chad's cousins (I already shared our woes on Facebook and Twitter; I've never been one to suffer in silence) and playing some worship music as a background to doing homework. I may not be worshipping with the church this morning, but I will not let my Sunday be completely ruined.

So tell me: What inconveniences/annoyances/outright catastrophes have you dealt with today? Did it ruin your day, or did you find a way around it?

20 comments:

Unknown said...

How very annoying for you. But well done you for dealing with it so well.

Anonymous said...

I can see why you're frustrated! I think the apartment complex should knock a little off this month's rent to make up for this. What if there was a family emergency, or you cut yourself and needed to get out quickly for medical care? Hope that fix it soon.

So far, for the first time all week, no catastropy today!

Su said...

@Carole: Thanks! I even managed to get back to the apartment without any swearing this morning. ;)

@Tina: A little off the rent would be brilliant. Not likely, though. :( And yay for no catastrophes-- here's hoping that streak continues!

J E Fritz said...

Being unable to easily get out sure makes it difficult to get anywhere, what I'd call a major inconvenience. I know they want to keep their tenants safe, but locking you in isn't the way to do it!

Su said...

Hee hee, yeah. Maybe they know something we don't!

Michelle in a shell said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle in a shell said...

Uhhh that's one thing I hate about management companies. Sure sometimes they're great but for the most part there's always something wrong... Even though, you know it's not always their fault.

Today I was cussed at and cut off by some old Eastern European women on the bus. That really grinded my gears

Su said...

I don't think it's our specific apartment management; I think it's the higher-ups at the larger company. So that's why I felt guilty sending a grumpy email; I doubt our people here have any control over it, and yet they have to field the complaints.

Wow, cussed at by an Eastern European woman on the bus! That's different! You win. :)

Michelle in a shell said...

That's true...it usually is the higher ups :( And no way, being trapped in my building doesn't even sound found to a homebody like me!

Su said...

We can get out of the building... just not off the property, unless we are willing to hang around until someone drives out. ;)

Grandpa said...

Oh dear...sorry to hear this Su, quite annoying. They say things happen for a reason - can't think of any for this one, yet.

I have my share of bad thing, good thing last week.

Hope your problem will be solved soon.

Su said...

Well, since you've had your share, I hope this week only brings good things!

I hope they fix it, too. Quite a lot of people are frustrated now, so I can't see them letting it go much longer.

Anonymous said...

haha well we tried to go out for a pint at a local brew pub for a special seasonal German Weiss but they didn't have it (so we left, why bother to stay at a restaurant when they don't have what you came for? sure it was awkward getting up and leaving). oh the plight of an American. Then we tried to go to another brewery - which had a 30 minute wait (which doesn't fly when you have a baby). Oh the humanity!

Anyway you actually had an annoyance.

Su said...

Are you saying the pint was for the baby? ;)

Sierra Gardner said...

I was having a yucky day yesterday and ended up taking muffins over to my neighbor whose husband of 56 years died last June. Needless to say I went home feeling a little humbled and stupid for letting my problems bother me =)

Su said...

Oh, how sad for her! :( It is cool that they were together for so long, though.

Arthur said...

If it is still not fixed today, a call to the fire department about unsafe egress will have it fixed by tomorrow.

Su said...

They took the lock off altogether until (presumably) they can get a working one. Fire department! That's who we call. I was wondering about that. Thanks!

Julie Hedlund said...

I think you've got just the right attitude about it - that is, not to let it ruin your entire day. I hope it's resolved by now?

Su said...

Yes-- lock removed on Monday (!), replaced by a working one on Wednesday. No need for calling in the authorities.