What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

22 March 2011

Teaser Tuesday #8

*See more discussion below*

How to Live Well Without Owning a Car: Save Money, Breather Easier, and Get More Mileage out of Life, Chris Balish

"Wouldn't it be great if someone invented a form of personal transportation that:

  • Is practically free
  • Is immediately available on demand
  • Doesn't require any licensing, taxes, stickers, or fees
  • Could travel faster than cars stuck in traffic
  • Doesn't pollute the environment
  • Helps us get exercise while we're using it
  • Doesn't make us pay for parking
  • Doesn't force us to pay high gas prices
  • Helps boost our self-confidence
  • Improves our outlook on life
Gosh, that would be great. Now go buy a bicycle."



teasertuesdays32
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be ReadingAnyone can play along! Just do the following:
  • Grab your current read
  • Open to a random page
  • Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page
  • BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!)
  • Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!

*Promised discussion:

So I'm still on a documentary-esque kick. Not sure how that happened. BUT, as regular readers know, I'm already living well without owning a car, so I mostly checked this out just to see what he says about it. It's a little outdated in its information (it was published in 2006), but otherwise is a cool thing to read if you're thinking about cutting back on your car use but don't know how to go about it.


The teaser is longer than usual because I loved that section. Also because it's not like this book has a plot for me to ruin; it's informational.

And the illustrations are priceless. Well worth reading the thing just to giggle at the pictures. Even the car lovers among us can appreciate the irony!

4 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I like commuting by bicycle when the weather cooperates. My husband commutes on one nearly everyday.

My read, The Sky is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson. But I don't have it on me which almost NEVER happens.

If you get a chance, please visit my blog. I'm holding a 500 follower contest. Great prizes!

Kittie Howard said...

Oh but I wish I could ride a bike everywhere. But there's no infrastructure for that where we live now. So I consolidate errands. Several years ago the residents in my county voted down proposals to improve transportation issues here. They're sorry now. Too late. Developers came in and built up land that could've been used to facilitate traffic -- and increased the traffic with all those houses.

J E Fritz said...

Hee-hee. Very smart and funny. Unfortunately, I think people might be turned off by the word "exercise." But with gas prices going the way they are, they might just get over it.

Su said...

@Theresa: I'm learning to be an all-weather (most-weather is more like it) cyclist. Slowly. I'll drop by!

@Kittie: Bummer! That totally blows.

@JE: Not just exercise, but also the removal of the possibility of high-speed chases. :(