What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

02 March 2011

Super-Snooper Blogfest (Wow, this came up quick!)

Today's blogfest is brought to you by Allison Stevens! Click on over (after you've finished reading mine, of course) and check out the other participants!

So, a description of my MC's stuff:

The walls were blah, just like in every other rental house, with only a Chronicles of Narnia calendar to break the beige monotony. In the corner nearest the closet, a mound of jeans, t-shirts, and scrubs nearly obscured the blue laundry basket that barely contained the mass of clothes. The bed, pushed up against one corner, had been "made" by smoothing a rumpled blanket over the sheets before a pair of blue pajamas had been flung across the top. Books and magazines covered the nightstand, all piled up as though there was more to be found underneath. A glasses case on the edge of the nightstand looked like it was hanging on for dear life from the encroaching paper. But most of the living in the room must have been done in the opposite corner, where a pair of bookshelves stood on either side of an armchair, each piled high with books. There was another stack of books on the floor, as though the occupant had been gathering books from around the house, then decided that this was as good a place as any to put them. A plate also lay on the floor, covered in crumbs. A coffee mug with a Twix wrapper and napkin tucked inside completed the picture of a late-night snack.

24 comments:

Megan K. Bickel said...

Oh, good job, Su! I think I've met this person before...

Heather M. Gardner said...

I think this character is studying to be a doctor or nurse. When they aren't at work or class they are reading medical journals and books.

Feels lonely in that room. Maybe they need a cat!

This was good. Thanks for sharing.

Lisa Potts said...

Yep, I would have to agree with Heather and say med student. And the mention of the Twix wrapper makes me a kindred spirit of your MC.

Debra Gray-Elliott said...

Stopping by from Super-Snooper Blogfest! Love your description. This is a med student

Angela Scott said...

A student all right. The pile of laundry and the candy wrappers--I remember those days. An avid reader as well, I think the books and magazines are more than just medical.

Well done.

Su said...

@Megan: I think this person may be everyone I know. Kinda. ;)

@Heather: She does need a cat.

@Lisa: What's not to love about a Twix, right? :)

@Debra: Welcome! And thanks!

Su said...

Whoops! Sorry, Angela, looks like we posted at the same time. Well spotted on the avid reader! :)

Julie Hedlund said...

I get the impression it's a college-age boy (except you responded to Heather with a "she"). What with the drab walls, piles of laundry and plate with crumbs, it made me think of a studious guy, perhaps with few friends but is passionate about whatever he is learning.

Alison Pearce Stevens said...

I'm with the others: med student. Eating while reading, either unable to sleep or trying desperately to get the reading done before falling asleep. This is great! Thanks for participating!

Su said...

@Julie: She is a she, most definitely. But now I'm kind of worried.

@Alison: Thanks! Great idea for a blogfest!

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Yep, I'm on the Med student bandwagon, unless an escaped psycho from a secure unit has just taken a brief stop-off at the docs room to change into civvies and nicked his car keys and wheels! ;)

best
F

Unknown said...

yep with the others on the student thing. Definately.

Mara Nash said...

OMG, I love Twix! And, like the others, I'm guessing med student.

Su said...

@Francine: LOL! Maybe I'll use that character for a different book.

@Tessa: Not exactly...

@Mara: Me, too! Mars knows how to make chocolate!

Okay, after nine guesses: Not a med student. Not a student of any kind, actually. Although you are correct about her being young.

Alexis said...

feels very lived in ^.^ and kind of like my apartment in terms of messy

Anstice Brown said...

I think the person described is a student nurse, as indicated by the scrubs and the messy rental appartment. Appart from the scrubs it sounds like me. Great post.

Su said...

@Alexis: Mine, too, oddly enough. ;)

@Tizzy: She works in a doctor's office. :) Thanks!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Definitely some type of medical student..... maybe nurse, but I strongly believe he's studying to be a doctor.

Trisha said...

Love this description :) Definitely a doctor or nurse, and a busy one who doesn't have much time to take care of him/herself. i.e. the meal of a Twix and coffee or whatever that drink was ;)

dolorah said...

A very busy guy, comfortable with clutter. I'm thinking the scrubs is a red herring :)

Nicely written Su.

.......dhole

Elizabeth Mueller said...

My sister's room!!! Right? Right? Say it is so! ;)
Sounds like someone who doesn't care or want to mess with cleaning up, but enough to 'hide' the mess. Could be a man. Or a woman. My sister is a woman and sounds like this! ;)

Thanks for posting, it was fun.


♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥

Su said...

Thanks for dropping by & commenting, everybody! And now for the answer:

Natasha is most certainly a woman, single, who works as a receptionist in a doctor's office. Not a student (she graduated a couple of years ago), but she is a runner so doesn't mind indulging in a Twix bar. And a VERY avid reader; hence the reading material scattered about!

Her "stuff personality" is an amalgamation of my sister and a couple of roommates, with a tiny drop of me (the books) thrown in for good measure.

Teralyn Rose Pilgrim said...

I love the "beige monotony." Since I've been living in apartments for seven years, I know what that's like!

Su said...

Yep. I've gotten to the point that I'm happy that it's beige monotony instead of off-white monotony. Anything for a change! :)