What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

27 March 2011

A Routine Life

For all the fun things I do and the interesting stuff that happens to me, my life is fairly routine. I go to class, I do homework, I clean my house, I cook dinner. I buy groceries and go to meetings. I commute, although my transportation may look different from yours. I blog and Tweet and giggle at the ranting my friends do on Facebook (and try to keep my own ranting to a minimum). I read. I write. And while there is frequently no rhyme nor reason to the pattern of my days, I still do the same stuff as everyone else. And I enjoy my calm, routine life.

Somehow, 'routine' lives have gotten to be associated with 'boring', whereas an 'interesting' life tends to be one spent either doing adventurous things (skydiving) or regular partying. And while I'm not averse to adventures that do not involve jumping out of airplanes, I do have a problem with someone who can't remember what he/she did last night disparaging my hobbies because they can only be done while sweating or sitting. (Or both, if I haven't turned on the A/C on a hot day.)

Jesus' life was not routine. Oh, he slept and ate, as he had time, but his life was invested in people, and people can be remarkably unpredictable. So if I am going to make my life less routine and more adventurous, less boring and more exciting, that's the way I want to do it. To invest myself in loving those around me. To be an encourager to all I see. To do what I can to ease the suffering of others, even if all I have to offer is a smile and a kind word.

That is an adventure worth living. That's a routine worth being in. And no chemical alteration of my brain pattern is required.

What adventure would you like to be living?

15 comments:

Michelle in a shell said...

I can completely relate to this! Especially since I stopped routinely drinking and going out I get weird looks from old friends/acquaintances (keyword being old).

I'd like to be doing more traveling, that's my ideal adventure.

Anonymous said...

I used to be adventurous - climbing mountains and going on backpack trips and long road trips, but I discovered it was all well and good, though life was better when I lived it with my friends. And now that I have a wife and a daughter - those mountains aren't much fun.

Anonymous said...

Well said Sue. I had a very adventurous life in New Zealand, pretty much explored the whole place, would drive across the island in a convoy of stay at home mums to visit hot pools for the day, we drove over sand dunes and had lots of adventures. Okay that's not exactly night clubbing and I don't miss that anymore either but I am more than happy just taking a walk these days, going to the park and jumping on the tramp with the kids. I am so much more fulfilled through writing, I don't need all the other things.

Su said...

@Michelle: It's so weird how people react if I turn down an invitation to drink! I'm not sure why that is such a requirement of life to some, but there you have it. I'd like to travel more, too... we shall see.

@Charlie: Very true! Priorities can change in a hurry, especially when you add a family to the mix.

@Catherine: That sounds like a lot of fun! I agree: writing does diminish the need to be continuously going and doing. I can just make stuff up! :)

Heather Henry said...

I can really relate to this. I feel that everyday is an adventure and an opportunity to positively be a part of the lives of others. My goal and prayer each day is to have the opportunity to positively impact or bless the people I see, meet or run into. LIfe is about people and showing them God's Love.

I like what you said about routine too. When my life gets really busy and crazy, it's the mundane, everyday stuff that I miss. I will actually long to stand in the kitchen, listen to music while washing dishes.
Great post!! :) Have a beautiful day!!

Misha Gerrick said...

Well said! That is a much better way to perk up your life than to waste it away on selfish pursuits.

BTW, you won an award back at my blog. :-D

erica and christy said...

While I do enjoy a glass of wine on occasion, my nights of staying out all night ended quite a long while ago (no complaints!). I love my life and my family. I am blessed indeed. :0) Thanks for spreading happiness and for reminding us to love each other as Jesus did. Especially at this time of year when we remember his suffering for our sins. (Sadly, some days its harder to show love and compassion than others. So reminders are needed!) christy

Felicity Grace Terry said...

happy to be living the adventure that I am though I sometimes wish it was a more mobile one - then again if it was perhaps I would not have started blogging and met so many wonderful people. I guess life is no dress rehearsal and we have to make the best of it.

Thanks for this post, its certainly got me thinking.

Laura said...

Great post and had me nodding all the way through. I made a pact with myself when I was young that my adventure would be to make as many people smile or laugh in a day as possible. I too don't do the whole going-out-drinking-drugs malarkey, nor do i travel much (I just don't have the bug) but my every day is an adventure of smiles and friends. Great read - thank you!

G Blechman said...

What a great post! This really got me a bit misty-eyed actually. I live a routine life. I LOVE my routine life. I go to classes I LOVE, I hang out with the friends I LOVE, and I come back to my room, get my work done, and then spend the rest of the day writing. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. I agree with you completely. There is nothing boring about loving the life you do. Not everyone loves near death experiences. My biggest excitements come from writing and from making people feel good, from helping others. As you said, Jesus certainly lived an interesting life, but he didn't go skydiving or get a bunch of tattoos or throw wild n crazy parties. Still, most people agree he's a pretty groovy dude.

<3 Gina Blechman

Su said...

Wow, clearly I have been neglecting you all!

@Heather: That's a fabulous goal.

@Misha: Cool, thanks! I'll drop by and check it out!

@Christy: Too true! Not just some days, I've found; also some people are hard to give grace to. Alas...

@Petty: I wish you were more mobile, too. :( Although I have to say that I've learned from you to count my blessings-- I've stopped whining about sore muscles b/c I'm just happy that I can do things to make my muscles sore.

@Laura: Great pact! It's amazing how life changes just because of a personal change of outlook, isn't it?

@Gina: If "Jesus was a groovy dude" isn't a bumper sticker, it should be! You're right-- loving your own life is the important thing, no matter whether it seems "boring" on the surface.

Sand Castles and Snow Forts said...

Nice post, Su! Seems like we're all preparing for one adventure or another. I made the vow this year to try harder to live!

Su said...

And with a username like Sand Castles and Snow Forts, I'd say you are well on your way! Very cool!

Monica said...

Found you from the A-Z Blogging Challenge, it sounds like it’s going to be so much fun and I can’t wait to get started!! I’m now following your blog on GFC(#200)and I hope you have a chance to check out my blog and maybe follow me back!!
Monica
http://oldermommystillyummy.blogspot.com/

Su said...

Of course! I have a plan (not that those tend to work out well) to get around to all of my new followers this weekend & follow back! Thanks for dropping by!