What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

07 April 2016

F is for Fiddler

Source: Wikipedia
Fiddler on the Roof

Originally opened on Broadway September 22, 1964

Currently: The fifth Broadway revival opened December 20. The Australian tour just opened in Sydney last month.

Music: Jerry Bock

Lyrics: Sheldon Harnick

Book: Joseph Stein

BasisTevye and his Daughters, Sholem Aleichem

Everybody knows about: It's referenced so often in pop culture it's probably easier to say what everyone doesn't know, but I'm gonna go with "Sunrise, Sunset."

I have thoughts: This was the first musical I ever heard of. My mother has a Fiddler music box that plays "Tradition," and I think she must have also owned a cast album from the show, because I knew it very well long before I even knew what musicals were. I've never asked her, but I would be unsurprised to hear that this is my mother's favourite musical. As for me-- it's definitely in the top five. I love this show so much.

Have you seen Fiddler? Any idea why that guy insists on hanging out on Tevye's roof?

No comments: