What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

09 August 2010

What should I call it?

I called my feelings during our move "culture shock" because I don't know any other words for them. Four weeks later, and I am in some doubt as to whether or not it is truly culture shock, or just the normal unpleasantness of moving.

But then I have moments when I know I'm in a different place, with different people, and there is no part of me that knows what the heck I'm supposed to be doing. Which all fit into the realm of culture shock (although my good friend Wikipedia, having gotten over its huffiness at me, tells me that culture shock is one form of the broader "transition shock", which may be a better term for how I'm feeling).

The most persistent symptom, apart from not knowing where anything hides in the grocery store, is my tea-drinking habit. When everything in my life is well and good, I have 2-3 cups of decaf tea per day; two in the morning, and possibly a third in the evening. Or I might leave out my second morning cup and just have one in the morning and one in the evening.

These past couple of weeks I've been going through cups of tea at a remarkable speed, having at least one in the morning, another one or two in the afternoon, and two or three in the evening. And I'm craving tea all day when I'm in class. One day last week, I finally gave it up and went to the coffee shop attached to the campus library. When the guy behind the counter asked what size I wanted, I told him, "The biggest one you have."

Now, if it's a choice between comfort eating and comfort drinking, I choose comfort drinking. Much less dangerous. But I didn't realise what a gauge of my mental state that tea could be.

And I'd like to get back to normal as soon as possible.

No comments: