What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

04 April 2011

C is for Causes

One cause in particular, actually: Tomorrow, April 5th, is One Day Without Shoes.

A lot of "raising awareness" campaigns tend to disintegrate into empty gestures over the years (or just start out that way-- posting your bra colour on Facebook, anyone?). I hope this one doesn't. The point, as stated on the website, is for people to notice that you're barefoot... but when someone's curiosity is piqued, you don't wander off or smile knowingly. You engage in conversation about the millions of children worldwide who go without shoes every day, and how this day is meant to not only bring attention to the problem (I really do hate the phrase "raise awareness"), but also to move people to action.

"What can I do, then?"-- I hear you cry. First, as your lifestyle allows, go without shoes tomorrow. I'm planning to carry my one & only pair of flip-flops to put on when I board the bus (because you can't ride the bus barefoot), and also to put on when I'm inside campus buildings, if asked. (But only after I'm asked!) Otherwise, everywhere else I go tomorrow, I'll be barefoot. So... could you walk from your car to your office barefoot? To the park with your kids? Into a PTA meeting? Where can you imagine your bare feet striking up a conversation? And just remember, ladies: This is a great chance to show off those perfectly polished toenails.

Second: Go to the site and choose your favourite banner. Make it your picture on Twitter/Facebook/Friend Connect/Etc. for a day or two.

Third: TOMS brand already donates a pair of shoes to children in need for every pair that is purchased, all year round. So if you're in the market for a new pair of shoes, consider looking there first. They also have various other apparel available.

Finally, don't forget that no action is too small. If this isn't your preferred cause, that's totally cool. Find a cause that you can get behind. I'm a firm believer in the principle that "From those who have been given much, much will be expected." I've been given much, much more than I need, and a few hours barefoot in the hopes of getting some attention is the least I can do.

Will you be going barefoot tomorrow? If not, do you have a cause you want us all to know about? Let's hear it!

21 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's almost warm enough to do that here!

Anonymous said...

There was a chap on the Guelph University Campus that went barefoot for his whole term. His issue was the conditions under which the majority of our footwear is produced.
It is important to have a "cause". It gives our lives flavour and helps others.

Laura M. Campbell said...

Great post. A friend of mine used the banner as her facebook picture, and I had no idea why she was going barefoot. Hmmm...I can barely go barefoot in my house let alone public buildings (can you say 'hangups'?). Outside wouldn't be a problem though. Good luck with the challenge.

Tara Tyler said...

that is a great post! and a great cause. i will try it.
happy c day!

Tiger85 said...

Wondeful post, I will go barefoot as much as possible. We got a snow storm yesterday but I not sure if we'll get anymore. Thanks for sharing this. =)

http://tigeronmybookshelf.blogspot.com/

FilmMattic said...

Love the title of your blog!

Great post that could really invigorate some action. Nicely done!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Yikes! There's a snowstorm due. Dang spring weather.

Nice topic and good luck with the awareness issue.

Su said...

@Diane: Yeah, it's still pretty chilly (and snowy, by the sound of it) in a lot of places. I wonder if the originators live in a warm place, or if their intention is that some people will be inconvenienced for the sake of the cause? Now I feel kind of guilty that it's so warm here already so I won't be particularly uncomfortable (at least, not because of the temperature).

@mybabyjohn: Wow. That's really impressive. And it's kind of a bummer that no matter what, there are always dozens of wrongs that we can fight.

@Laura: I had totally not thought about the icky side of walking around barefoot indoors. Will check my feet carefully for scrapes, I guess!

@Tara: Cool! And happy C day to you as well!

@Tiger: Bummer about the snow... I think if it were cold here, I'd have to choose a different day. I'm really wimpy! Good on you for thinking about it, though!

@Dierdra: Wow, thank you!

@Matthew: Thanks! For both! :)

@Donna: The snow really seems to have done this day in. :(

Anonymous said...

Su, I don't think I will be going barefoot. It is actually a state regulation that we cannot go barefoot in the facilities. But I will wear my Toms!!
Love you!
Key

J E Fritz said...

That's a great cause! But I honestly can't imagine going on the bus without shoes. Have you seen what people do on buses? Ew. (Sorry, germaphobe moment)

Su said...

@Key: Really? Not ever? Interesting...

@JE: Yeah, me neither. Good thing it's not allowed.

Unknown said...

I love walking without shoes, I can't wait to be back outside in the woods and at the lake barefoot with my dog.
Nahno ∗ McLein

Su said...

Wow, walking through the woods barefoot-- you're brave!

50 foot QE said...

This is a good one for awareness.

Another is:
A day with only face to face contact-
no screens, or phones.

Michelle in a shell said...

I'd love to go barefoot if I could but I'd probably contract some terrible disease over here! I'm glad you mentioned Tom's though (my motherland!)- great support for the cause and super comfortable shoes!

kjmckendry said...

Great post.

Su said...

@50: Wow, that would be great. And our culture really needs that. There is a screen-free week sometime, but it's mostly aimed at children.

@Michelle: My husband is convinced that I'll be coming home today with no feet and tetanus.

@Km: Thanks for stopping by!

Larri said...

I'll be home all day, so going barefoot is typical for me anyway. :o) My BIL is nicknamed 'Barefoot' because of his penchant for not wearing shoes...even to the Barber Shop! LOL

Great 'C' post! Thanks for sharing. Happy Tuesday! :o)

Su said...

Cool! I never wear shoes in the house, either. Although I can't imagine going barefoot to the Barber Shop! Happy Tuesday to you!

Margaret Hall said...

Love your cause...Will go and visit the site, and thanks for sharing your thoughts on the day..Don't wear shoes in the house, and most shops won't allow "no shoes"...Interesting posting for the Challenge~!

Su said...

True! My husband carried a pair of flip-flops with him to the store after I reminded him that supermarkets frown upon bare feet.