What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

29 April 2011

Y is for Years

The days are long, but the years are short, they tell me. Too true! I generally hear this expression as it relates to parenting, but the years are plenty short enough on my own, without any wee ones to help speed time along. Although watching everyone else's children grow up before my very eyes is scary enough!

Anyway. I set my alarm last night so I could get up early and watch the little shindig in London this morning (I guess if I really wanted Google hits, I'd write it out in great big letters-- too bad I'm not that into search engine optimization), and realized that it's now been 11 years since I called that country home. At about the time that the gorgeous bride arrived at the church, the anniversary of me getting on a plane came & went.

What's remarkable (to me) is that this is the first time in years that I've even noticed the date going by, and I would have missed it again if not for today's commission of matrimony. While there's not a day of my life that I don't think of Scotland, there is also no need for me to go into mourning once a year for having returned from there.

Anyway. In related news, my 15th high school reunion is coming up this summer, which makes me feel a little bit old. I see my classmates on Facebook, and in my mind we all still look exactly the same as we did in 1996, just with the addition of spouses & children. That more years have gone by since last we met than all the years we spent together seems pretty well impossible. I keep thinking of that bit in Romy & Michelle's High School Reunion when they talk about how these people have known them since kindergarten-- it's kind of unreal that yes, thanks to the miracle of Facebook, there are people in my life who have known me almost as long as my family has. Yikes!

I think I was going somewhere with this post, but I seem to have gotten lost on the way. Ach, well, never mind.

So, here we are in 2011: What in your life happened so long ago but also just yesterday?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the two biggest things that I am processing right now are these: The fact that nearly a year ago (Come May 29th) I graduated High School. And the fact that about a year and almost two months ago, I got engaged. And the wedding is 49 days away. That's....crazy. Even for us youngin's, time flies when we're having fun. ;)

Anonymous said...

The years pass too quickly don't they? But the days, oh the days, they fly.

Anonymous said...

I gotta say now that I have a child of my own I feel very disconnected from my former lives. College? Only graduated 5 years ago but feels like an eternity. And did I actually go to high school? because all of my memories seem like they're on 70's film reel (i graduated in 02)

erica and christy said...

It occurred to me recently that as of this summer, I have lived in my "new" town as long as I lived in my hometown (18 years). That was very surprising!
erica

Denise Covey said...

Ach, you little Scot you! It is good to notice the passing of time and milestones. What better way to revisit the UK than with that big shindig? In Oz it was perfect timing - started the prelims at 5.30 pm then the wedding was at 9 pm our time. I watched every moment.

Denise<3


A - Z, Y and Z

a runners' life said...

The years really do fly by, especially after 18. I can't believe I've got my 10 year high school reunion this year, I still have days where I feel like a silly 18 year old. Is your high school reunion in the US or in Scotland?

Su said...

@Paula: Did you really just exclude me from the "youngins" club? Really?

@mybabyjohn: The weeks go by pretty darn quick, too!

@Charlie: I've no doubt that's true, just because I notice that every time I have a change in my life. Something about the human brain and the compartments we build for ourselves, I guess.

@Erica: Wow! I was getting close in Lubbock, so we had to move. ;)

@Denise: I had to get up in the wee hours, but I don't mind doing that from time to time.

@Runner: In the US. I only lived in Scotland for two years, and it was after I finished high school. I'm not sure they do class reunions in Scotland.

Kerri said...

Whew re: the thankfulness list! :) I really enjoy your blog - you remind me of my cousin - I passed your site on to her.

Su said...

Aww, that's so sweet! Thank you!