What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

09 April 2011

H is for Happiness

Happiness is having a sister.
Happiness is also having a brother,
but there aren't any cute songs about
that. 
There's a book that's been on my to-read list for so long now that it's pathetic, but other books keep pressing their existence upon me and then I forget just how long I've wanted to read this one.

And that book is The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Ruben. From reading a few reviews, I have a vague idea of what it's about, but rather than try to explain it badly or do more research and then end up hopelessly distracted from writing, let me just encourage you to go to the website if you want to know more.

I was thinking this morning about things that make me happy. And most of them are really simple, really goofy things: Today, I was happy about my Popsicle molds that I filled with Gatorade & stuck in the freezer in anticipation of us coming home hot & tired after a long bike ride. (Both of which happened, of course, and we enjoyed the Gatorade pops very much, thank you.) And then I gathered all my stuff and set out, and I was happy to be out riding my bicycle on such a nice morning. And as snags came up in my day, I was happy each time a solution presented itself.

It really doesn't take much to make me happy. I'm happy to see Chad at any hour of the day, happy to go to class, happy to do homework (usually), happy to finish homework, happy to blog, happy to read, happy to use my washing machine & to hang up clean clothes afterwards, happy to make tea and toast, even happier when it's time for a second round. I'm happy to go to bed and generally happy to get up again.

I don't know if I'm weird, or have low expectations of life, but it turns out that happiness is not to far to seek for me (although I generally claim to be cranky, just to keep my life amusing). So whatever quirk it is that gives me such perpetual happiness, I'll take it.

What makes you happy?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not seeing my name in the obits.

Ella said...

Happy is walking, making art, making tea, having iced coffee, laughing w/my family, nature, photography, growing plants, writing/blogging and making new friends and new memories and more~

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

throwing on a wetsuit to go surf in whatever the conditions are. Also bombing down hills on my mountain bike.

a runners' life said...

Happy is being with the people I love, being able to go for a long barefoot run on the beach, enjoy a breakfast at one of my favourite cafes, writing, and baking chocolate cookies and cakes for my family and friends.

Su said...

@mybabyjohn: You should get some kind of award for brilliant comments. :)

@Ella: All good!

@Charlie: Having never surfed, I'll take your word for it!

@runner: More good stuff! Especially when you bring up chocolate.

Ciara said...

Smiles on my children faces. I'm a fellow A-Z challenger and new follower. :)

Su said...

And what a good one that is! Welcome!

Philip Verghese 'Ariel' said...

Hi Good to be here again.
New things are coming up.
Keep going! Keep informd.
Best Regards
Phil