What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

17 April 2011

Resting is Underrated

Did you learn about the Blue Laws in school? The ones that kept shops from opening or people from working on a Sunday, until about the mid-1900s? Some days I'm glad they're gone. Other days I think it might be nice to have them back.

Either way, I'm doing homework today. Lots of homework. Because since I spent the entire day yesterday at the Austin Bike Summit (which was totally worth it, BTW; it was brilliant), I got no essay-writing or other studying done.

So! A short post today to exhort someone to take the day off, since I am not doing so. Enjoy your free day on me.

How do you spend your Sundays?

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, I will.

mshatch said...

sometimes I do wish the blue laws were back so that EVERYONE got sunday off. Maybe families would be better off for it.

Donna Shields said...

I agree. More family time to sit down with one another.

My Sundays are usually spent on the web and working on my books. I need to learn to take the time away.

Unknown said...

Hey there! I've awarded you a Stylish Blogger Award. You can pick it up here: http://gigglelaughcry.blogspot.com/2011/04/stylin-award-has-been-captured.html

Su said...

@mybabyjohn: Enjoy!

@mshatch: I agree. We go through phases where we don't shop or go out to eat on Sundays, so that we aren't the ones making people work, but you know how that goes... eventually we forget and drift back into shopping & whatnot on Sunday. :(

@Donna: Yay, books! But taking time away is good, too.

@Giggle: Wow, thank you!

Unknown said...

Thanks, I'll make the most of it! Send me another, sometime. :0)

Elizabeth Twist said...

Somehow we survive those holidays when the grocery stores are closed and we can't hit the mall. I think we might manage if that happened once a week.

Trisha said...

I love resting. LOVE it.

Su said...

@Carole: I don't think I'll be using my rest days for the next couple of weekends, if you want to cash in now. ;)

@Elizabeth: Yep. It would take some readjusting, but there are a LOT of things in life that require readjusting, so... I think we'll live.

@Trisha: It's the best!

erica and christy said...

Sunday's are usually catch-up days at our house (cleaning, resting, movie-watching). Today I caught up on the partial requests from the conference and sent them out. Even God needed a day of rest, right??
erica

Su said...

Absolutely.

Anonymous said...

whoever put church on Sundays was misguided. Church totally interrupts the flow of the day on a Sunday Sabbath. We usually don't go to church because of that reason - because it interrupts our family leisure time. Today we spent Sunday driving to the coast and then hanging on the beach, but its usually a delicious breakfast followed by lounging and frisbee.

Unknown said...

I would like to say that I take Sundays off but rarely do I. It's usually catch up day for me.

Su said...

@Charlie: You've no idea how happy it makes me to hear someone else say that.

@Clarissa: Alas, me too.

Linda Fischer said...

Sundays are my busiest day! (Children's pastors can't take too many Sundays off or they'll get in trouble!) :)

Su said...

Ah. In that case, I hope you have a different rest day.