What are we talking about today?

I'll get back to theme days once I find a groove of posting regularly. In the meantime, most of my posts are about some variation of books, bikes, buses, or Broadway. Plus bits about writing, nonprofits, and grief from time to time.

This blog is mostly lighthearted and pretty silly. It's not about the terrible things happening in the world, but please know that I'm not ignoring those things. I just generally don't write about them here.

13 April 2011

K is for Kickstand

Okay, this story is actually kickstand-free, but I couldn't think of another bike-related "K" word.

For today's version of Without a Car Wednesday, I'm guest blogging at Austin on Two Wheels. Here's a peek; click the link to read the whole thing. Enjoy!

I got some confirmation that cycling instead of taking the bus had been my best decision—there was a striping truck, painting the outer line of the bike lane on Manor Road. And behind the slow-moving truck was a line of traffic, all unable to pass because they were going uphill. Finally, one of those opportunities I dream about: I didn’t exactly zoom past the traffic, but even though I was crawling uphill, I still crawled faster than the truck. I passed them all and reached the next stoplight feeling inordinately pleased with myself.

Story continues here...

7 comments:

Charlie's Church of Christ said...

I love when traffic is at a light and I'm approaching as the light turns green and I breeze by everyone. I try to cycle as fast as possible so they see just how rad it is to be on a bike.

(then they catch up)

Su said...

Me, too. It's the "then they catch up" bit that's a bummer.

erica and christy said...

I met a virtual-friend for lunch this weekend and when I had to admit I don't have a cell phone, she admitted she didn't even have a driver's license. This, I don't understand...
:) and <3
erica

Su said...

I have both! Yikes! The first time Chad called me while I was riding, I felt like such a dork-- on the phone while holding a bike! Now I do it without a second thought (although I do still pull over to talk).

Trisha said...

Kickstand is also a song by Soundgarden. Hehe.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I'm getting new bike for Mother's Day. I can't ride to work but I can do a lot of riding around here.

Su said...

Yay! I've definitely worked up to this distance of bike-riding. No need to jump into too much!